Dry-hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now reading through this thread makes me ask...

I move the beer to secondary for dry hopping, leave it for a week or so,

Then I rack that off to a third vessel for CC, if there was quite a bit of sludge left in my secondary I sometimes will rack to a forth vessel after CC, then CC for as long as I can wait.

Am I asking for trouble with all this racking? ie no co2 'blanket'? :huh:

You could add a spoon of dextrose in. this will give the left over yeast something to eat and create a new CO2 blanket.

Introducing more fermentables would result in another layer of sludge. Isn't this what the racking is trying to eliminate?

M

Really a pointless exercise Boozy & as you say, every time you transfer your wort you're risking infection. Just transfer to secondary once & then transfer to another vessel for bulk priming when ready...

cheers Ross

But if i'm dry hopping I should only do so for a week, correct?

Then I CC, So I have to rack off the hops and then CC for X weeks, right?

Right! :beer:
Cheers
Steve

Boozy the clown said:

[post="119388"][/post]​

You can, but just as easy to leave on the hops & CC (it's what I do). If you don't want to leave dry hopping for a long period, just add to the CC a week before you intend to bottle. Or you could even add to primary after main ferment is finished & leave for an extra week.

cheers Ross

Boozy the clown said:

[post="119388"][/post]​

Dry hopping durations are largely dependant on how long you like to keep the beer in contact with the introduced hops. I'd dry hop for at least a week, otherwise why bother? :blink:

I normally CC with the same fermenter, hops still there in contact with the beer. If you find that it's too hoppy or astringent, just cut back on the amount of hops you toss in.

Rack out of CC into the keg or into the empty fermenter for bulk conditioning etc...
The more racking you do, the greater the risk of infection.

Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back