Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
I have about 160g of nice galaxy flowers that I am considering dry-hopping my stone & wood-inspired galaxy ale with. I normally stick to 1-2g per L when dry hopping with pellets. I'm tempted to throw the whole lot in as they smell amazing. My question is: how much is too much? Will 160g of dry hopped galaxy be overkill? It is a fairly low IBU beer. In fact, there is no bittering addition at all. Just a fair bit late in the boil and a decent french press addition.

Thoughts?

I'd go easy if I was you. Maybe stick with 20g. She's a strong hop.

Aside from the fact that I like neither galaxy, nor the concept of going nuts with dry hopping, my take on it would be this: if a beer is great as is, do you need to add anything? If you think it would benefit, then be judicious.

If I made an amazing red curry from scratch, I wouldn't destroy it with 8 million chillies, despite my love of chilli. I'd add enough to accentuate the flavours that were already balanced (obviously to my tastes).

DO IT!

You won't do it twice. Might as well just squeeze eighteen passionfruit into each beer.

Galaxy is the appletini of pale ales. Drink it with your pinky finger extended. :D

Once upon a time in my bottling days i'd made a great stone and wood clone. The bag of galaxy had 4g or so in it so i put 20g into two tallies. They were lost for a few months but when i found them they were fantastic. Really resiny and passionfruity. I think the few months in the bottle let the hops settle a bit.

You could french press 60g into the fermenter and if its not enough then throw in the rest.

You could french press 60g into the fermenter and if its not enough then throw in the rest.
Already done. Might just go with about 30-40g dry. Like I said, it's not high IBU, but I really want to get that definite galaxy aroma I get from the stone and wood.

I have on keg my version of it right now. Apart from the fact that I have some efficiency loss + no-chill induced extra bitterness, I only dry hopped with a tea ball (the big ones from T2) worth of galaxy flowers + motueka pellets. Trust me, the galaxy is overpowering.

well I no-chilled and didn't add any bittering addition. I hop bursted 10g in 1 minute intervals from 5 minutes. Then 60g french pressed for 1 minute then 10 minutes. I think the IBU is really low for a pale ale, so I might add a very small bittering addition next time. Still not sure about the dry hopping. It's not going to add any bitterness but should give it that awesome fresh hop aroma. I might just go 1.5g/L and see how it turns out. Has a really nice aroma from the yeast (1272) and french press already, but I want to enhance it that little bit more.

Actually, thinking about it, I reckon 160g is definitely overkill.

Latest posts

Back