Dry Hopping Vs Late Hops Addition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
What are the pro's and con's of dry hopping and late hop additions in terms of effect on aroma?

How does late hop addition (e.g. 0-15min) compare to say dry hopping a similar mount post primary fermentation? I'm thinking a late hop addition contributes to flavour as well as aroma, whereas dry hopping contributes primarily to aroma.

One downside of late hop additions is that during the fermentation process, the carbon dioxide released scrubs the aroma from the beer. I guess if this is true it could be overcome by adding a greater amount to compensate for it.

I've also heard a few people complaining about "grassy" flavours when dry hopping. Can any hopheads confirm this? Or is this just a conspiracy from brewers that don't like strong hop flavours? :p

Some hops tend to be grassier then others.
I dry hopped with amarillo pellets into the secondary and ended up with a really nice bite with out any grassiness.
I have dry hopped with fuggles and it took about 4 months before the beer tasted ok.

Hop trub carrying through to the fermenter will also tend to leave some grassy notes.
Also the longer you allow the beer to condition subdues the intensity and any grassiness will dissipate some what.

I was told that older hops tend to leave more grassiness then fresh hops.

I freeze my hop these days.

I think a shit load of aroma hops at 15-20 minutes is the best way and only dry hop a handful say 1-2g/L for a maximum of 1 week post primary fermentation give you the best results

my 2c worth
;)

Lately I have been putting flame out hops in. This cuts back the extra 4-5days I spend dry hopping. I would still say dry hopping gives it that little bit more zing. I am an APA fan. Since I make enough for two fermenters I may give one a go dry hopping and compare the pair. Yes you can get a grassy type of flavour from over hopping I know I had one but because I love hops I liked it.

BYB

Some hops tend to be grassier then others.
I dry hopped with amarillo pellets into the secondary and ended up with a really nice bite with out any grassiness.
I have dry hopped with fuggles and it took about 4 months before the beer tasted ok.

Hop trub carrying through to the fermenter will also tend to leave some grassy notes.
Also the longer you allow the beer to condition subdues the intensity and any grassiness will dissipate some what.

I was told that older hops tend to leave more grassiness then fresh hops.

I freeze my hop these days.

I think a shit load of aroma hops at 15-20 minutes is the best way and only dry hop a handful say 1-2g/L for a maximum of 1 week post primary fermentation give you the best results

my 2c worth
;)

Do you reckon its better to freeze the hops? How long would they last frozen as opposed to refrigerated?

Do you reckon its better to freeze the hops? How long would they last frozen as opposed to refrigerated?

Definitely keep them in the freezer in a airtight bag. It depends how well they're sealed, but they can keep for years.

Definitely keep them in the freezer in a airtight bag. It depends how well they're sealed, but they can keep for years.
They wouldnt need to be defrosted if they were pellets would they?

Nah mate, no need to defrost. I remember reading somewhere that it's actually better to chuck em in frozen, something about going from frozen to boiling hot splitting open the hops suface and thus getting more out of it. Dunno if it applies to pellets but if I remember reading correctly it does with flowers

+1 for keeping in an airtight container in the freezer.

Download a free copy of Beersmith (www.beersmith.com), it has a tool called "Hop Age" which allows you to calcuate the effect of age on stored hops at different temperature/conditions.

+1 for keeping in an airtight container in the freezer.

Download a free copy of Beersmith (www.beersmith.com), it has a tool called "Hop Age" which allows you to calcuate the effect of age on stored hops at different temperature/conditions.

Speaking of it,does anyone actually hop age their stock?Then adjust for recipes?

Speaking of it,does anyone actually hop age their stock?Then adjust for recipes?
I certainly have a peek and adjust recipe only if really needed.
I tend to over hop if there is such a thing so a bit of aging tend too bring IBU back a bit. B)

I've tried dry-hopping quite a few times, but never really liked the results. Maybe it needs more maturation time than I'm prepared to give it. Anyway, I've found a good whack of hops at flame out does the business, producing plenty of 'grassless' aroma.

Latest posts

Back