Dry hop timing conundrum.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Hi crew

I have a question in regards to a preferred method of dry-hop timing and duration.

Last night I pitched rehydrated US05 into an aerated APA wort. I am going to dry hop with Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe.

I fly out for a 2 week swing at a new job on Tuesday. My question is what would be preferable?

1. throw the dry hops in on tuesday night when I assume fermentation will be 50-80% complete and leave for 2 weeks

2. wait until I return in 2 weeks and then dry hop.

I am leaning towards option 1 but would like opinions/experience.

Thanks for your help!

I'd hop it before you leave and taste when you get home. You can then keg hop if needed.

If kegging, Id just keg hop straight up. AFAIK none of those hops are particularly prone to grassiness but 2 weeks is a long exposure time for dry hops.

Last edited:
Probably fine either way but personally, I'd let it brew out and then dry hop, Simcoe and Amarillo seem to spread their goodness pretty quickly, measure it out and have in an airtight bag for when you land. 3 days later ....keg. Something to look forward to doing when you get home!

Latest posts

Back