DrSmurto Golden Ale without wheat malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just have a question regarding the role that wheat malt would play in a recipe in comparison to DME.

I was going to have a go at brewing a full extract DrSmurto Golden Ale but didn't have any wheat malt on hand. I do however have a lot of Light DME that I will need to use at some point.

Just wanted to know what result I would be looking at if I were to go this way. I have all the other ingredients on hand. Will it significantly affect the brew if I use DME in it's place until I brew my next batch? If this is the case I'll just have to move the brew day back until I can make it to the LHBS next weekend.

Cheers,

Newts

Hey Newts

No it won't significantly affect the brew. If you did a side by side comparison you would be able to tell the difference but the beer will be fine. A good hop flavor and clean fermentation are more important to this style of beer. Go for it.

The Recipe is The Gospel and all who change it are destined to go to hell. Oh, except for Dr Smurto, who changes it constantly.

Yah, you can change anything but the name.

Ooo I'm a big rye fan but I've never tried caramel rye. What's it like?

Herr Smurto has a rye version of this recipe and that's similar to the golden ale I make. Are you using rye + caramel rye or just caramel rye?

Rye Caramel Malt..i noticed the Dr had changed his brew,so i thought i would give it a try.tastes good don't last long around here...Have to brew some more

Oh you used it instead of the plain rye malt in Herr Doktor's rye recipes?

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought it would be alright but just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

So in terms of modding the recipe for full extract using DME - would I be right to say I'd use 1.4kg of DME to replace the Coopers can and another 0.8kg for the wheat malt based on a 0.8 conversion from liquid to dry? Should be around a 13 litre boil so from what I've read I shouldn't have to adjust hops additions. Got Caramalt and Light Crystal so should be good to go as far as I can tell :beerbang:

Newts

Latest posts

Back