Drip tray hygiene

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteru

Here, taste this!
Reaction score
I've got a plastic drip tray and I find that there are always a few drops that land in there every time I pour a beer. Not enough to make me remember to wash the drip tray out at the end of the night, but enough that when ignored for a couple of days will result in loogies growing in the drip tray.

Any tips on proper drip tray hygiene? Keep a bit of phosphoric sanitiser in the bottom?

When it starts talking to you give it a good clean with something caustic

I don't think my drip tray grows anything but is sure as hell disgusting. Washed a couple of times a year!

danestead. Yu takin the piss.

Regular rinsing, cleaning. That is all. Dryness is best, as well as clean etc.
This years strange outbreakbreak of insect here is the vinegar fly. Those tiny little buggers that can break a good wine or beer are drawn to a drip tray like moths to a flame. From any drop of beer at the moment.
Shallow spills of beer will go stale and smell and turn to vinegar or worse things fairly quickly in a few days.
So that's the crunch. A few days at most.
Regular cleaning spares you of those really disgusting experiences.

$0.02

With the Intertaps I get very little dripping. Just enough to make a little puddle (maybe a few cm big) that will dry overnight. What that leaves is a sweet sticky patch that seems to encourage the growth of something white. Probably a mould of some kind. Or maybe I can only see the white species in the dim light. I haven't really studied my drip tray flora.

Cleaning so far has been piss easy. Pick up the drip tray, take the 5 steps to the bathroom sink and run a bit of water over the drip tray. Maybe soak for thirty seconds, but whatever it is, it just slides off. The plastic is still new and smooth.

danestead said:
Not taking the piss at all; just saying what I do.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Honestly you look like a scientist. I cant picture a disgusting drip tray only cleaned once a year.

edit: oops, a couple of time a year. :lol:

Danscraftbeer said:
Honestly you look like a scientist.
If you are talking about @danestead avatar, I thought it was more of a taxi driver uniform. :p

Danscraftbeer said:
Pics or it didn't happen.
Honestly you look like a scientist. I cant picture a disgusting drip tray only cleaned once a year.

edit: oops, a couple of time a year. :lol:
Ok, I lied. I cleaned it the other day because friends were coming over. Due for another clean in 6 months!

My slops bucket on the other hand, that gets tipped often, usually when the garage smells like vinegar. Occasionally I swish some water through it too.

I find a couple of urinal cakes does the trick.

I've found the 'citrus zest' aroma ones compliment my Amarillo / Cascade APA very nicely.

They're just a target for drunk mates to piss over.. Better not keep them near the kegerator.

Tie one to your next door neighbour's cat instead.

A couple of drops of bleach in it will work fine.. But I always give it a rinse when I wash my glass..

Back