Drinking water hose for brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a reel of that style "water hose" from bunnings. The water tasted of plastic, even after a few days soaking/clearing etc. Might be because I was using it for hot water, but still.

This stuff from clark rubber was the go, rated for food/water applications at up to 60C, and up to 250psi.

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/clear-reinforced-hose.html

I use this for filling my brewday water requirements. And the water comes straight out of a gas instant heater.

Shit i havent tasted my water and I put hot water at 60C through the blue potable water hose from my gas instant heater.... eek!

carniebrew said:
From this Saturday (Feb 14), Aldi have 20m of food grade hose for $24.99: https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/saturday-14-february-2015/saturday-detail-wk-7/ps/p/20m-drinking-water-hose/

The same length Pope branded one is $40 on the Bunnings website: http://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-drinking-water-hose-20-m-1011402_p3130595
Arse, I paid $20 for 10 meters from bunnings a few weeks ago :(

Stux said:
I bought a reel of that style "water hose" from bunnings. The water tasted of plastic, even after a few days soaking/clearing etc. Might be because I was using it for hot water, but still.

This stuff from clark rubber was the go, rated for food/water applications at up to 60C, and up to 250psi.

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/clear-reinforced-hose.html

I use this for filling my brewday water requirements. And the water comes straight out of a gas instant heater.
I ran ambient temp water through a heat exchanger for a couple of hours to rinse first (the pope hose from bunnings),then filled my brew kettle with it afterwards (through a caravan carbon filter), tasted fine to me, might have been luck of the draw

I'll check mine and confirm, the specs say it is suitable for hot water use...

Ahh, sounds like I need to experiment for the good of brewin! My hose has probably had 5 cold water and 12 hot water brew days through it, haven't noticed anything in the finished beer but I haven't tasted the brewing water. I am still in the realm of ignorance pretending there is no need to adjust my water for brews....... Hah!

Side note I've always "drained" the hose after each brew as I roll it up elevated to where I brew so the water inside simply drains out.... But have wondered if the moisture that is left will eventually create scum/algae/mold in the hose when stored? Would it be better to leave the hose full of water when rolling up?

Aah right. That sounds promising if you've put that many thru it already.

Fwiw, I'd keep the hose drained and dry. All bugs/fungi need food and water to live. If you deny the water part you'll minimize the risk of bugs growing in your hose while stored. Though I'd flush it out before you use it in case crawlies have hidden in there. Once drained, slight air movement thru the hose should hopefully continue to fully dry it over time.
2c

technobabble66 said:
Aah right. That sounds promising if you've put that many thru it already.

Fwiw, I'd keep the hose drained and dry. All bugs/fungi need food and water to live. If you deny the water part you'll minimize the risk of bugs growing in your hose while stored. Though I'd flush it out before you use it in case crawlies have hidden in there. Once drained, slight air movement thru the hose should hopefully continue to fully dry it over time.
2c
Yeah that's what I figured and why I drain it and leave the valve open, but figure the walls would remain wet, would be difficult to get enough air flow through that without some external fan or air compressor (then there's issues with oils in the air anyway).... As I take hot water from my instantaneous gas heater I run that until at full heat and then for another 30secs or so before commencing brewing (I save that water as clean up water with PBW)....

I'll still pour myself a glass of hot water to drink prior to next brew to smell and taste it, I expect it's alright :)

I use one of these caravan carbon water filters with some brass fittings and my Bunnings drinking water hose and the water taste's great. A lot better than out of the tap but I only use cold water.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Shit i havent tasted my water and I put hot water at 60C through the blue potable water hose from my gas instant heater.... eek!
I checked with Pope, they told me not to use it for hot water, the hose is rated for up to 40C only.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I do exactly the same gas heated water 66deg with blue tube. Maybe have to rethink that one mmmm

Thanks carnie! I'm emailing Pope about Bunnings false advertising that it is suitable for hot water use. Will report back!

technobabble66 said:
Bloody carniebrew.
Fancy going off and getting the answer like that. Humph!! Spoilt a good 2 pages of discussion right there.
Should be reported!!
http://www.gotwavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=MP3S&type=Movies&movie=Dragnet&quote=facts.txt&file=facts.mp3

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Thanks carnie! I'm emailing Pope about Bunnings false advertising that it is suitable for hot water use. Will report back!
Would you consider 40 degrees hot? How hot is the water from an average kitchen hot water tap? I've never measured it.

thuperman said:
Would you consider 40 degrees hot? How hot is the water from an average kitchen hot water tap? I've never measured it.
50C plus.

Per Australian Standards, 60 degrees minimum in the unit itself, and tempered to a maximum of 50 degrees at fixtures in residential appliactions.

Latest posts

Back