Drinking water hose for brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instantaneous units can put out 50C and most do because they don't store water and no chance of growth which is the intent of 60C plus. I have a 60C enviro unit, no thermostatic valve so I can get 60C ish into my hose. Have shot off an email to Pope so will see if they can enlighten us whether Bunnings have incorrect info or the hoses are in fact ok for "hot water" :)

If pope are communicating with us, we should totally persuade them into doing something for the homebrew market...
A decently priced all rounder hose that can do 90°C+, withstand pumping and doesn't contribute flavour

Wouldn't it just be silicon hose, which you can buy now?

I smell a silicon hose bulk buy, someone call Yob!

Is it not time for a kindly mod to split this thread off into its own topic from this post?

Got a reply from Pope.

Thank you for your email.

I have spoken with our Product people, they are saying the drinking water hose is only tested up to 40 degrees. They would not recommend this to be used with a higher temperature. Please return the hose back to the store of purchase for refund.

I have notified our marketing crew and they will change this on their website ASAP, thank you for letting us know.

Ive asked if they have another suitable product. If not i guess its off to bunnings for a refund and clarke rubber for a suitable hose...
Should ask them to pay for all the batches of beer i SHOULD, but wont, throw out.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Got a reply from Pope.
Thank you for your email.
I have spoken with our Product people, they are saying the drinking water hose is only tested up to 40 degrees. They would not recommend this to be used with a higher temperature. Please return the hose back to the store of purchase for refund.
I have notified our marketing crew and they will change this on their website ASAP, thank you for letting us know.
Ive asked if they have another suitable product. If not i guess its off to bunnings for a refund and clarke rubber for a suitable hose...
Should ask them to pay for all the batches of beer i SHOULD, but wont, throw out.
Cool. Wonder if I can get a refund too. Got a useless blue hose in the shed ;)

Won't be able to find the receipt though :(

What incentive do they actually have to care? Will sell more blue hoses this way.

Easier to placate you with money back...... there is 100+ others who won't winge.

I think it's more likely that the person who gave the refund didn't tell anyone the reasons and so the information didn't go up the chain.

Still haven't taken my hose back (haven't even brewed this year :S)... Am planning on getting a Clarke rubber or similar hose... Question though, what about the hose fittings? I currently have the grey and orange Pope type plastic hose fittings to click fit onto my hot water tap inside and then the other end has a plastic ball valve also Pope grey and orange plastic type. Guessing they are not suitable for hot water and maybe not even drinking water use?

I poked for another response from Pope and got one today:

[SIZE=11pt]The hose has been tested against the following standards:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]AS/NZS 4020 - Testing of products for use in contact with drinking water. Testing conducted up to 65[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]C. This covers the chemical leeching, micro-organism growth etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]AS/NZS2620.1 Domestic Garden Hose – Reinforced Hose. This standard covers pressure testing & construction of the hose. This standard covers pressure testing up to 40oC. Therefore we know the hose is safe under pressure, up to 1200kpa, at 40oC. We cannot guarantee the hose above this temperature. Whilst the Drinking water hose is not specifically a garden hose (and could be argued that it falls outside of the scope of this standard), this standard is the most relevant standard to test against.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]As the lesser of the standards only tests to 40oC, this is the maximum temperature we can recommend.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The garden hose fittings have been tested to the same 1200kPa @40oC standard. They have not been tested above this temperature, and as an irrigation product, are not specified as a food grade material.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Hope this information [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]helps.[/SIZE]

I'm satisfied to continue using this hose I think, it's tested for leeching etc above what temperature I supply through the hose and given mains pressure water would only be around 600kPa (I think?) the risk of rupture of the hose is minimal. I'm always around when it is in use too so no risk of it bursting and flooding anything.

As for the fittings, I can probably get some metal (brass?) fittings from bunnings that are for potable water and use instead of the plastic, but the small amount of contact with the small fittings might not even be worth the bother?

Thoughts?

That hose is fine then. The first standard listed confirms it is safe for drinking with temps up to 65°C. The second standard consists of a pressure test which the first does not, so to apply a pressure rating you have to take into consideration the max temp for that test. 1200 kPa is shitloads, most mains pressures are around 300-450 kPa, but can get beyond 600 kPa. That's a problem that could be easily solved with a PRV, but then we're not talking bargains any more.

1200kpa does happen to some unlucky people 'luckily' I only get 100-150 kpa here

I use brass garden fittings.

They're brass. brass is used in the potable water plumbing

Stux said:
Interesting podcast. Worth pointing out they're discussing toxicology, not flavour contributions.
That's right. I was really responding to the OP's thread title, in homebrewing I think it's easy to start losing a bit of perspective in relation to what is crucial vs what is best practice. I know I've been guilty of debating 6 grams or 7 grams of gypsum before. :D

I was in my caravan this past weekend and when I hooked up my drinking hose I wondered whether or not the hose fittings were 'food grade drinking water safe' as well? Could have a market there, same fittings, but charge more and say it's a 'drinking water fitting'

Hey all I bought one of the bunnings hoses and the water stunk of plastic, so I returned it. I then bought a hoselink hose and while better than the pope it still has a plastic taste. (Hose looks identical to the pope one). Seen mention of caravan charcoal filters,wondering do they work to remove the plastic taste? Also would type of hose do people use for the last few meters to avoid plastic taste? Thanks in advance.

Back