Drinking In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryB

Reaction score
I'm coming down to Melbourne for the Socceroos game next week, and am curious to know if there are any good brewpubs or places which serve good, hard-to-get beer in the city area. The places I am going to visit so far are the Royston and the Local. Any other suggestions? I'm especially after places which will have stuff that I can't get in NSW.

Mrs Parmas and The Royston is all you will need in the way of pubs imo.

Then hot the brewerys - Mountain Goat, Three Ravens etc.

I'm coming down to Melbourne for the Socceroos game next week, and am curious to know if there are any good brewpubs or places which serve good, hard-to-get beer in the city area. The places I am going to visit so far are the Royston and the Local. Any other suggestions? I'm especially after places which will have stuff that I can't get in NSW.

Beer deluxe at federation square (city) and Bar Fred in Nicholson Street, Brunswick (inner city suburb) are both very worth a visit. You can get wonderful beers at both (a great range) and the bar staff are reasonably knowledgeable. My only gripe with beer deluxe is that they serve some beers too cold but a westmalle dubbel too cold is better than a bar with no westmalle at all.

Transport (also at fed square) is meant to have a good range too. I've only been there for after work drinks so my exploration of what they have available has been limited to fairly standard pints of tap beer. Apparently they have a lot more than that going on though.

Cookie has a great range of beers but I find the atmosphere yuppified and the music too loud. Swanston street city.

James Squire hotel/Portland Hotel (Russel Street, City) has everything James Squire

Little Creatures Food Hall (Brunswick Street Fitzroy - inner city suburb) - all things little creatures plus some other good things including reasonbale food and atmosphere.

Bar Fred and Beer Deluxe are absolute musts in my opinion.

Beers available at Bar Fred:

http://www.barfred.com.au/Bar%20Fred%20-%20Beer.html

Downloadable pdf beer list from beer deluxe:

http://www.beerdeluxe.com.au/up-images/Fil...%2009%20_2_.pdf

Hopefully PDF from transport bar (I've heard tell that not all advertised beers are available all of the time)

http://www.transporthotel.com.au/menu.pdf

Thanks guys! I might stop in to Mrs Parma's for lunch!! Sounds ideal!!

Not sure if I'll have time to do the breweries (although MG is next door to the Royston so that's a possibility) but I'll try my best!

Well I'm back... verdict? Geewhiz I love the Royston. The Holgate ESB from hand pump and the Chololate Temptress porter were probably the pick. HAd a few at Mrs Parma's too, but didn't find them as nice as the beers at the Royston.

Missed this thread, next time your down try a place called Cookies, awesome beers on tap including Leffe Blonde, Erdinger and the likes, bloody good food too.

HAd a few at Mrs Parma's too, but didn't find them as nice as the beers at the Royston.
depends on which beers you had. hopefully to stayed away from the grand ridge. but by the sounds of it you didnt

Had 3 beers at mrs parma's: Hargraeves Hill ESB (easily the pick of them - a pretty solid beer), the growler brown ale (was pretty disappointed in this kind of tasted stale or something - a sourness which i don't think was meant to be there) and the grand ridge gippsland (not too bad - a bit sweet for my liking though). Don't get me wrong, these weren't horrible beers i just much preferred all the ones i had at the royston (holgate esb, temptress porter, goat pale ale and another golden ale - the brewer escapes me but it was kind of an australian-belgian hybrid. interesting). Also just prefer the royston as a place.

OTOH, I had a parma at parma's and it was nice and if I worked in that part of the city I could see myself going there often.

Hmmm me thinks we might have to have a word to Mrs Parmas/ 2Bros. On a prev occation we have had the growler and found it a little off/tainted. We told them and they happily changed the keg and replaced our beers. Then it was fine. So I dont think its their beer lines, maybe its the actual beer.

I tried 2 brothers at a beer showcase at fed square a while back. I think it was the Growler and I found it had an overwhelming bubblegum flavour (not a hint - actually tasted like bubblegum). It was the only beer I couldn't drink (even though there were some that were pretty average).

It was so strange I will have to give it another shot to see if it was a bad batch.

Is it only me that gets excited about Bar Fred?

Hmmm me thinks we might have to have a word to Mrs Parmas/ 2Bros. On a prev occation we have had the growler and found it a little off/tainted. We told them and they happily changed the keg and replaced our beers. Then it was fine. So I dont think its their beer lines, maybe its the actual beer.

Gotta say... I haven't been overly impressed with the Growler when I have tried it - so could be the beer in general.

I tried it at the Fed Square showcase a few months ago - directly from the boys - and I moved on after it.

Cheers,

Brendo

Latest posts

Back