Dried Pear Perry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing_Brad

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I've just been offered a tree's worth of pears to make a perry out of, but unfortunately, I won't be able to get brewing for another few weeks and the pears are not going to last that long. So I'm thinking of dehydrating them to preserve them.

My question is: do you think it still possible to use them to brew with? I'm thinking it would be, but I think the process would be more involved than just dehydrating them. Maybe something more akin to AG brewing?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas?

Cheers
Brad

G'day guys,

I've just been offered a tree's worth of pears to make a perry out of, but unfortunately, I won't be able to get brewing for another few weeks and the pears are not going to last that long. So I'm thinking of dehydrating them to preserve them.

My question is: do you think it still possible to use them to brew with? I'm thinking it would be, but I think the process would be more involved than just dehydrating them. Maybe something more akin to AG brewing?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas?

Cheers
Brad
Dehydrating is a real pain to do for such a large amount. You could clean and blend them and then dehydrate in an oven and freeze the more concentrated pear (look up how to make fruit leather) in sheets so it takes less space up......or just blend, stick in a cube and find a friend with a big freezer.

It might be a good opportunity to see if it is possible to no- chill pear juice (?)

You can't really make perry from dehydrated pears - it would be a pear wine, perry is made from fermented pear juice and you won't get much juice if you dehydrate them. I would have thought milling and pressing would be easier than dehydrating.
I have heaps of pears this year but so many apples I don't think I'll bother pressing the pears. They don't have a lot of flavour.

Hi Brad

What type of pear are they?

I'm assuming that you are aware that Perry Pears are a particular type of pear and are quite different from cooking and eating pears? They are not all that easy to find either.

If you do have some Perry pears, you're a lucky man, change your schedule and make the time to crush them. As noted by Greg, you can't dehydrate them and still make perry, but its important to use the fresh pear at the right stage of maturation - too soon and you won't get any pear flavour in the Perry, too late and the pears will go off.

cheers

grant

Freeze them. If you have the freezer space that is. It will preserve them until you are ready and will help with juice extraction as well.

If you pulp before freezing they won't take up as much space.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks for the advice guys, they're not perry pears, just regular old pears.

I might freeze 'em and see what I can make out of it.

Latest posts

Back