Drew's Keezer Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
Finished this probably two years ago, but thought I'd finally put the construction pics up. It was a long process. So long in fact that freezer number one died half way through and I had to buy a new freezer which then needed a larger bar top! I might have previously put the 'finished' photo up.

1. The base

image004.jpgimage005.jpgimage006.jpgimage008.jpgimage009.jpgimage010.jpg

2. The frame for the lid

I screwed one piece of timber into the original freezer brackets, and then screwed four brackets into that piece of timber. Weather strip from bunnings for a new fridge seal.

image070.jpgimage075.jpgimage076.jpgimage092.jpgimage090.jpg

3. The bar top

image024.jpgimage034.jpgimage035.jpgimage035.jpgimage043.jpgimage050.jpgimage052.jpgimage063.jpgimage066.jpg

4. The bar top v2 (needed to make it bigger to fit the new freezer)

image069.jpgimage081.jpgimage085.jpgimage095.jpg

5. The Side Panels

image117.jpgimage120.jpgimage118.jpgimage122.jpgimage121.jpg

6. The Font

image111.jpgimage107.jpgimage109.jpgimage017.jpg

7. The Finished Product

front.jpg

side.jpg

Beautiful. That's some real cabinet making skills going on there.
I note the 4 hinges, was the freezer originally with 2?
I'm guessing for the extra weight of the bar top, font tower, etc?

Well I had two hinges from the first freezer, so it made sense to just wack on all four.

The timber I used is yellow iron bark - quite heavy stuff. The four hinges actually hold the bar top with font open perfectly (it's almost as though I calculated the centre of gravity....but I assure you I did not). I'm curious to know if two hinges would have worked, but I never tested it.
I've since added some cheap ($15?) door pneaumatic stays from bunnings anyway, just for piece of mind.

And I am certainly not a cabinet maker - I stood back in awe each step of the way. I did a lot of really ugly things too...but mostly I was astounded. The painful part was the hours and hours and hours of thinking before tackling each part.

Latest posts

Back