Dr Smurto's Golden Ale (bastardised version)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobSnoo

Reaction score
Ordered all the ingredients for this except the Coopers Lager as I was sure I had a Morgans Lager on the shelf. Turned out it was a Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale [emoji849]. It's going to he a lot darker snd the IBU's have shot up. I've made the hops additions later and reficed the boil size to 1L to knock a few points. It'll still make beer .

Dr Smurto's Amber Ale 19L

Morgans Amber Oak
Coopers Wheat Malt
Bohemian Pils grain 250g
15g Amarillo @ 10 and 5
20g Amarillo @ 0 (add half the volume of the boil in tap water at flameout to reduce temp to ~80°C before adding 0 min hops)
US-05 @ 18°C for 14 days)

Estimsted OG 1.054 FG 1.014 ABV 5.7% in the bottle EBC 45.2 IBU 48.2

Will report back......

interested to know why you are boiling the extract? is it for the grain addition? when i have done hop additions to extracts have just put them in the fermenter at pitching time.

interested to know why you are boiling the extract? is it for the grain addition? when i have done hop additions to extracts have just put them in the fermenter at pitching time.
I won't be boiling the dme, just the steeped bohemian

Ordered all the ingredients for this except the Coopers Lager as I was sure I had a Morgans Lager on the shelf. Turned out it was a Morgan's Royal Oak Amber Ale [emoji849]. It's going to he a lot darker snd the IBU's have shot up. I've made the hops additions later and reficed the boil size to 1L to knock a few points. It'll still make beer .

Bohemian Pils grain 250g

Will report back......
I won't be boiling the dme, just the steeped bohemian

Do you mean Carabohemian? If not and it is Bohemian Pils grain, then I'd suggest using Carabohemian or caraaroma or caramunich, etc. First reason is that Bohemian Pils is a base malt that needs mashing not just steeping, though if you steep for 30-45mins at a constant 65C you've essentially mashed it. Second reason is that as a base malt, 250gm will add some extract (if mashed properly), but any flavours would be lost in your two cans of malt extract. Usually crystal/cara/roast malts are steeped for the already created sugars/flavours, not base malts like bohemian pilsner. If you steep a base malt at the wrong temp or for too short a time for starch-to-sugar conversion to occur, you may end up with a hazy beer due to starch not being converted and being left suspended in your beer.

Do you mean Carabohemian .

Yep. Double screw up. My steep is 65 to 70 ish (2 parts boiling to 1 of tap) for about an hour.

I think I'll take Dr Smurto's name off it now and call Rob's Royal Amber Mess.

It'll make beer, and who knows it could be amazing

Not much selection at the lhbs but i got a tin of blackrock lager and I'm subbing the Carabohemian for some caraamber. The rest of Sr Smurto's recipe remains the same

Back