Double GPO on a STC1000 setup?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Hi all

Putting together my STC1000 box and went scrounging around the shed to see what I had and came across a double GPO. Most set ups I've seen use two single plugs......any reason I couldn't use this double?

Chris

I've got 2 STC1000's & one of them (the 1st one I did) has 2 cut extension cords sticking out the back. I decided to go with slimline GPO's for the 2nd one & I think it's much neater

Cold one is sprayed Blue, Hot one sprayed Red

As in which one is heating and which is cooling?

It's normal in Double GPO's for both sets of wires go into same 'points' on back - ie - two negative wires in same spot etc.....?

If all the wiring goes to one point in the back of the double GPO then it'll be no good for an STC

you need to seperate the heating & cooling

yeah I found this old school one for mine.. but any are fine... i like the switches being there so if I want to for what ever reason I can switch off the heating and cooling separate from the STC power, without unplugging them.

stc.jpg

Beerness. Does yours look like this on the back.....same principle of single entry points for each cable?image.jpg

Good point. Connections to hot and cold must be separate for heating and cooling to function separately. Didn't realize they made doubles with single entry points.

gday mate,

Im an electrician. Your double gpo there will be no good. As stated, that is just two points from a same switched circuit. you would be fine with a dgpo with an extra switch, but it kind of defeats the purpose and would look funny.

Look around for an older clipsal DGPO if, they used to run cable to each socket 'back in the day'.

Topics like this scare me a lot. Also will dob myself in. I'm a sparky. If you're unsure, don't guess. The price for getting it wrong with electricity can be very high.

Thanks Bridges. That's why I posted - I knew someone with a qualification would give me an answer!

I used them on both my STCs. It took a LOT of dickin around to isolate them, but you can do it.
Probably wouldn't go down the same path next time, but I had them laying around the shed....

Ah didn't realize yours was single entry yeah as pros have said won't work. My plugs have separate wirings so work a treat :)

If you're not an electrician but just have to do your own wiring, and you shouldn't, then what's wrong with two single GPOs, separately wired and labelled hot and cold? It's not that expensive to do the job properly.

I was going to sugest that. And you can get different coloured power points

You can get a double gpo with seperate feeds. I use one on my setup. I think it's called something like a skirting gpo or a slimline gpo. Electrical suppliers like middy's or AWM should have them.

einnebcj said:
Hi all

Putting together my STC1000 box and went scrounging around the shed to see what I had and came across a double GPO. Most set ups I've seen use two single plugs......any reason I couldn't use this double?

Chris
If you don't want a duel function temp controller that power point will work fine, it will just be either all cooling or all heating. If you want heating and cooling you'll need two outlets.

I sometimes wonder when I read topics about DIY electrical on this website, if some of the people who no longer visit here, did a bit of DIY electrical themselves................. :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back