Domino's Pizza Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbonator

Reaction score
The missus just ordered 3 standard pizzas and when they arrived, I was greatly annoyed by the size of the pizza box and the pizza inside.

Am I wrong in thinking this fine Aussie product has down-sized at the expense of the tax paying public.

The box looks smaller and I finished mine with no probs. I been drinking all afternoon and don't feel bloated at all. My young kids have also eaten all their bits (very unusual), so I measured a box - 31 cm X 30 cm.

Has anyone got an old box to compare the size?

I noticed this a couple of year ago with pizza hut pizza. The pizza used to be 12 inch, now its 10 inches.

They have certainly downsized, I think Eagle Boys are now the largest commercial [correct me if I'm wrong, somone]. Also, I'd probably go Eagle Boys over Dominoes anyway.

Still, for the money you pay you're still probably getting a good deal - didn't pizza used to be a whole lot more expensive?

Cheers - boingk

F**KIN DOMINOS, c**p pizza.

They bought out all of the Big Daddy Pizza shops here in melb, dammit, best place to get a good quality $5 large pizza on a Tuesday night!!!

/end rant

Cheers

SJ

Am I wrong in thinking this fine Aussie product has down-sized at the expense of the tax paying public

Just like Apple Pie, the Big M and Coca Cola, Wiki

MHB

I'm old enough to remember when you went to Pizza Hut or Dominos there were always three or often four example blank pans nailed to the wall at the counter so you could choose your size: Family, Large, Medium or Small.

Now all pizzas are labelled 'large'.

As if - try ordering a small one.

Eagle Boys have made a big thing about this and have not shrunk their pizzas.

On the odd occasion that we have pizza we use Cheap Tuesday and go double topping at Eagle Boys.

They have really got Dominos on the back foot, prompting them to do the cheerleader ad:

Domino's cheaper bimbos are here
$4.90 Bimbos
$4.90 Bimbos
B)

They have certainly downsized, I think Eagle Boys are now the largest commercial [correct me if I'm wrong, somone]. Also, I'd probably go Eagle Boys over Dominoes anyway.

Still, for the money you pay you're still probably getting a good deal - didn't pizza used to be a whole lot more expensive?

Cheers - boingk

Yeah, I remember pizza being double what it is now when I was a kid- you get what you pay for.

What has this to do with people paying tax?

Irony is I think most of their demographic dont pay any tax....LOL

More to the point, why eat this bogan fodder, support your local pizza bar,
:youll probably get just as many calories out of one fatty marios pizza bar pizza than 3 cardboard pizzas.

Just like Apple Pie, the Big M and Coca Cola, Wiki

MHB

Additional post:

Wrong, Dominos in Australia is actually based in Brisbane with HQ at Albion. In the 80s we had a pizza company called Silvios. Older Bris residents will remember the ads. Silvio acquired the Dominos franchise in Australia and spread nationwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino%27s_Pizza_Enterprises

I actually contributed the first para of the wiki 'history' section. Don't eat them though :lol:

F**KIN DOMINOS, c**p pizza.

They bought out all of the Big Daddy Pizza shops here in melb, dammit, best place to get a good quality $5 large pizza on a Tuesday night!!!

/end rant

Cheers

SJ

Jim, you live in Melbourne and you are complaining about pizza shops? :huh:

I lived in Fitzroy once and the pizza shops around there were amazing. I have never had such superb pizzas since I lived there, and they were only 7 for a standard size, admittedly a little dearer than the homogenous crap from the chain stores but a hundred times better.
My favourite was Il Caretto on Johnson St Carlton, a dingy little joint but the food was awesome, and I lived pretty much across the road.

Cheers,
Jake

Additional post:

Wrong, Dominos in Australia is actually based in Brisbane with HQ at Albion. In the 80s we had a pizza company called Silvios. Older Bris residents will remember the ads. Silvio acquired the Dominos franchise in Australia and spread nationwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino%27s_Pizza_Enterprises

I actually contributed the first para of the wiki 'history' section. Don't eat them though :lol:

Indeed, I still remember the jingle! :rolleyes:

"3681888 (sung as three six eight, one triple eight) brings Silvios to your door"

Edit: Obviously this was before we went to 8 digit phone numbers...

I hate the shrinking pizzas too but as its been said you get what you pay for.

Cant go past Earth n Sea for awesome pizza :icon_drool2:

Off topic much? Cry more! Domino's should sell 1.25L bottles of cement. You know what for.

I hate the shrinking pizzas too but as its been said you get what you pay for.

Cant go past Earth n Sea for awesome pizza :icon_drool2:

I had on ein Byron a few years back and I was surprised by the presence of jar garlic on the pizza (garlic out of a jar). It has an unmistakeable taste to it and it spoiled what otherwise would have been a great pizza.
Ironically their website states that they only use fresh ingredients. I would give them another go, but then Byron has some other really good restaurants as well.

Cheers,
Jake

I work for 3 and do a few stints in directory assistance when it's busy, and know just about every pizza place in Australia. In Brisbane we have been quite pizza starved until recently and have had very few independants such as Australias Pizza House (Adelaide) Big John's Pizza, Mimmos, GPK (Sydney) La Porchetta, Mojo's weird Pizza (Melbourne) Maries' Pizza Delivery Service (Gold Coast). :icon_drool2:

However in the last couple of years the new chain Pizza Capers is absolutely exploding in SEQ and there's now a store in nearby Morayfield. Quite expensive but worth it, apparently.

Any reports on their Pizzas?

Yeah Marie's pizza is awesome Bribie.

As for Pizza Capers, it's expensive but I really like it. If you're feeling tight their entres actually work out cheaper as far as filling you up goes. Their calzones are only $4 and are awesome, especially the pesto and feta one. Also their dips come with garlic pizza.

When I was living in Melbourne a few years ago Crust on Church St in Richmond did the best pizzas around. There was little Italian place down on Church St was good if you were just after a standard no frills pizza, but for something a little more up market Crust was the go.

I noticed that Crust has expanded a bit and has a few more stores in Melbourne and now a couple up here in Sydney. Haven't tried them recently though as home made gets asked for more around here.

The really weird thing is that true Italian pizza is nothing like what we get here.
Even Margherita which you would think is hard to stuff up is totally different.
One of the reasons is that Australian Mozzarella is nothing like true Mozzarella.
True Mozzarella is made from Buffalo milk and is suspended in liquid much like Bocconcini which is closer to Mozzarella but still nothing like the real thing.
Its like Coke and Pepsi.....
Anyhow Italian Pizza's have much less topping but somehow more flavor.
Also they don't use bacon or ham but proper prosciutto which is raw cured ham cut very thinly.

La Porchetta does a couple of passable special things but still ordinary in comparison.

It took years for Pizza to become popular in Melbourne, the local Ita's reckoned it was a dish that you served at home, I read that Toto's in Lygon was one of the first pizza restaurants in Australia
The missus (A Roman) can hardly stomach Aussie Pizza and reckons it should be called something different....
Don't start her on the pineapple on pizza thing either ...

Back