Does Your Ss False Bottom Get Grain Under It ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Pumpy

Just had a thought

You could use stainless nuts and bolts as your spacers. Just stick the bolt through the false bottom and tighten up the nut to hold it in place. Then just trim the bolt to the correct length.

Kabooby :)

Hey Pumpy

Just had a thought

You could use stainless nuts and bolts as your spacers. Just stick the bolt through the false bottom and tighten up the nut to hold it in place. Then just trim the bolt to the correct length.

Kabooby :)

Thats a good idea Kabooby will try that next it really needs some support .

Pumpy :)

Hey Pumpy,

I had a similar problem and i got some S/S mesh (from camping shop) and cut a square out and attached it to the under side of the elbow going into the tap. I attached it by threading some S/S wire, pulled from the mesh, through the false bottom and the mesh. Tried it out last week and worked a treat! I was getting stuck sparges constantly due to grain in the tap.

Hey Pumpy,

I had a similar problem and i got some S/S mesh (from camping shop) and cut a square out and attached it to the under side of the elbow going into the tap. I attached it by threading some S/S wire, pulled from the mesh, through the false bottom and the mesh. Tried it out last week and worked a treat! I was getting stuck sparges constantly due to grain in the tap.

I have some ss mesh Sam will try :)

I finally stopped my false bottom collapsing by placing a ring of polypropolene under the false bottom this was in the form an old leaf basket cut about 20mm deep .

Just mashed 40 litres of Aidens Irish Red and it worked a treat

Thanks to all who kept my few brain cells ticking over with the problem there were a few options which may of done the trick but the support from the ring was the go .

Pumpy :)

under_false_bottom.JPG

Back