Does Your Home Brew Have An Effect On You?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be some other stuff in some of the bigger produced commercials that interact with the way you feel intoxicated but the ethanol itself is identical.

so what other stuff will do that to the body?

Hops are in the same family as cannabis (Cannabaceae) and have been used in many different ways to achieve a relaxing effect such as hop tea, supplement additive, sleeping aids and some people even attempt to smoke it. (not that I would bother trying) but I believe that my hoppy IPA's and other beers alike have a slightly different effect than less hopped beers. That is the only difference I can think of when comparing the effects of the commercial stuff and the homebrew stuff.

Unless you just add real weed to it as well, I am sure you would notice a difference for sure then.... :lol: :kooi:

I find that I dont feel to much then all of a sudden it hits you. Where commercial stuff (more the megaswill, coopers seems to be the same as HB) seems to hit you faster so maybe what ever they put in it makes it absorb into your blood faster or something I am not sure. Or maybe I drink the commercial stuff a bit faster

I find that I dont feel to much then all of a sudden it hits you. Where commercial stuff (more the megaswill, coopers seems to be the same as HB) seems to hit you faster so maybe what ever they put in it makes it absorb into your blood faster or something I am not sure. Or maybe I drink the commercial stuff a bit faster

that's what i thought (about drinking it faster) but i think HB goes down a lot easier than cub products.
im very interested to know what products it maybe to 'make you feel more drunk' or does get you drunk
quicker.

i feel the more homebrew i drink the more i need to piss during the night so drinking during working week is no good. even on the weekends its not so good.
Picture-13a.jpg

There is nothing worse than not having a pot to piss in :(

I find the effect of the alcohol to be exactly the same. Comparing drinking home brew with drinking commercial craft beer is like comparing home cooked food with restaurant food, they both fill you up and in most cases satisfy you, the latter just saves you the hassle of making it yourself but puts a much bigger dent in your wallet.

I find my homebrew doesn't affect me like the megaswill crap from the pub. I think it definately has something to do with what they put in it.

I can drink mine all afternoon and only have a slight fuzzy head in the morning, drink megaswill all afternoon and take 2 days to get over it, as well as bringing every thing up in the crapper. :icon_vomit:

I can drink mine all afternoon and only have a slight fuzzy head in the morning, drink megaswill all afternoon and take 2 days to get over it, as well as bringing every thing up in the crapper.
You don't have anywhere near the amount of nasty additives in your HB, well, I hope you don't.

To the OP - you're definitely measuring your gravity right? I.e. calibrated hydrometer, measuring temp of wort being tested, etc?

My HB certainly does what beer is intended to do.

What I dont understand is how any of you guys can still stomach a whole night on megaswill after your taste buds have become accustomed to good beer. Unless Coopers pale ranks as megaswill? in which case it doesnt have any of the nasty additives you find in VB etc.

I notice my beer get's me pissed but I generally feel more tired when drinking homebrew compared to CUB etc but always wake up sweet the next day after HB where after 3 or 4 VB's at my mates im fucked for a day after.

i definatly get just as inebriated on hb as commercial swill but the difference for me is the brain crushing headaches i get from megaswill the next day even after taking it relatively easy, and i do include coopers in this it gives me headaches with the best of them.

I find my homebrew makes me:
Smarter,funnier,a sex god,the ultimate athlete,champion brewer,fantastic cook.witty,abs of steel.a poet,musician,artist....could go on.
Of course the more home brew i drink the better all these qualities.
Never happens with xxxx gold

One thing for sure, hb makes you fart more then megaswill. You may consider that a good thing or a bad thing.

One thing for sure, hb makes you fart more then megaswill. You may consider that a good thing or a bad thing.

Sure does....... would it be more suspended yeast in the homebrew???? .. its great for dutch ovens with the cook...... shit she gets cranky.

I do find that I do not feel as intoxicated on HB then I do on megaswill beers. My theory was that it was the yeast in solution that provided all the nutrients and vitamins that was contracting the pissed feeling.... or I could just be reading too much.

I think it's all in the head. Take 3 cases:

1 - home brew/craft beer. Very enjoyable, gets me 'happy' fast. I can drink as much or as little as I feel (bodily effects notwithstanding).

2 - Aussie mega bile. I've noticed myself drinking it all night, prolly 10 pints, was neither happy nor pissed. Slept like a log, no difference to HB but woke up with a massive headache (doesn't happen with HB, esp drier ones).

3 - corona/Heineken/grolsch/becks. Only time I waste my money on these is when I'm happy in the company I am in. Inoffensive, gets me pissed, I don't really remember the headaches.

It is all the mind I say.

anything over 8g/L of late hops really mellows me out - a different pissed for sure

Ah, what the hell. We all know that home brew tastes SO much better than that other stuff. But sometimes the missus makes us go to the pub (because she wants to play the pokies). So while we're there we drink megaswill. And enjoy it - because while we're drinking it we're talking bullshit with our mates. It's not always possible to have a swag of mates around when we're drinking home brew.

2c

Latest posts

Back