Does Warming Up A Cold Case Of Beer Affect The Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukemarsh

Reaction score
I bought a case of Tooheys Old which was kept in a fridge at the bottle shop, brought it home and stuck it in my beer fridge. I later thought to store it in my cellar, with all of my other beers, so a couple of weeks later I removed it from the fridge and put it in the cellar where it stays at around 22 deg in complete darkness. Does it affect the taste of the beer when it is chilled up and stored in the fridge at a bottle shop, then removed and kept in a cellar to warm to room temp, then chilled up again to drink?

Not unless:

- There is live yeast in the bottle
- The bottles are not UV-protecting and are exposed to sunlight
- The temperatures are extreme

You shouldn't be able to taste a difference.

Technically speaking, leaving beer in warm environment will have more adverse effects on it than leaving it in a cold enviroment.
Of course, this will take a good amount of time to actually do anything significant to the taste of the beer itself.
In more extreme circumstances, say you're storing your beer in the back of your car in the middle of summer. So it's sitting there at 50 degrees or whatever; there's a chance that prolonged exposure to temperatures like this will cause some sort of damage to the beer. Of course, this would be more of problem with a bottle conditioned beer like Coopers with live yeast in the bottle, and that can cause problems.
However, alot of beers like Tooheys Old are generally pasturised, and well filtered, so no yeast is present in the bottle, and effects of warm temperatures are generally not an issue.

Sitting the beer at 22 degrees, you're probably not gonna have much change in the beer. Unless you plan on keeping it there for a year or more...then oxidisation will slowly start taking shape...

I drink CPA a fair bit, and earlier this year i left a 6er in the car (admittedly it would've been 50+.C) for about 4 days, and after i chilled them back down in the fridge they had a very strange taste......

But then again, its bottle conditioned...I dont think you would have any problems with your Tooheys Old though m,ate

Latest posts

Back