Does This Look Infected To You?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollux

RoachHaus Brewery
Reaction score
I just took these photos after glancing into my two batches which are currently in secondary..

Both taste and smell okay, but have this random layer of white spots floating on top....

This is the first time I've kept the fermenters in the garage and I'm starting to get mildly concerned about the possibility that they have picked up an infection..

Pictures below..

Cube.JPG

Fermenter.JPG

Pollux, describe the individual white spots. Are they like tiny foamy bubbles? or are they furry? If tiny bubbles it may be just a secondary fermentation. Also is the photo taken through the lid? as it seems a bit hazy.

Cheers
Gavo.

It *might* be an infection. But since it isn't tasting bad, leave it for a while and give it the ol' taste test. I'd recommend thoroughly cleaning them before the next use just in case.

Photos are through the lid, hence the haziness.....

As for a description, they do appear to be bubbles, the clusters break up if I gently rock the fermenter.....

I am hoping you are right, only time will tell I guess...

I thought they looked a little like bubbles, I sometimes use a glass carboy for secondary and quite often the secondary ferment well have small groups of bubbles, must be small colonies of yeast at the bottom of the fermenter, I only take any notice them then because I can see them clearly. Probably nothing to worry about. If it tastes fine then it's probably okay.

By the way are these partials? I was just wondering if you had gone down that path yet.

Cheers
Gavo.

I sometimes see dots on the surface of my beer, depends on the yeast. Sometimes they're tiny bubbles, sometimes they're clumps of yeast going for a ride. If it continues to taste and smell fine it is fine. Give it another week or two and taste again.

I`m betting it`s nothing to worry about at all.
Like newguy, I often have floaters prior to bottling, but no infection.

stagga.

yeah I have had this happen with a few of mine - but nothing has shown any signs of infection... yet... :eek:

She'll be right... :icon_cheers:

Brendo

Back