Does This Help?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day again brewmiesters,

I have been brewing nicely for a couple of months and enjoying the cost effective process of the k&k.

One 'advantage' i had before embarking on this was 250+ 375ml bottles from my U-Brew-It days. Thus i have several brews in storage and am only drinking the 'tops' of my brews and leaving the rest in a cupboard for, hopefully, months.

My question is; With my production now closely following my consumption (finally) is there any advantage after the minimum two week sit, to have them refridgerated for another week before drinking, or will it make no difference if i put them in the fridge a day before consuming. I have a dedicated beer fridge and keeping 30 odd stubbies in there for any period of time is no problem.

Tell us what you think.

HI

Depends what you are brewing. In my experience if you brew wicked IPA's or wheat's, 2 weeks then get stuck into them. My IPA's that I have hopped a lot in the past seem to lose their peak hop taste after 3 months. Still nice beer, but a waste of hops and money :)

Personally I have found that the longer some beers are kept out of the fridge to bottle condition the better. However some don't seem to improve noticably with extended periods. So I guess it'sa solid "Depends" on the style?

I usually like to keep my drinkers at the ready so I keep a healthy supply in the fridge at all times.

Once beer is carbed it lasts the longest refrigerated.
If they are in a dark place and since the winter period is coming they will last pretty good for 3-6 month is the cupboard.

Your average beers of 4-5 % will last up to 6 months trhen it will start to change character.

When I started brewing I was told that a beer doesnt' really get good until after at least 6 weeks when bottling.

It is all circumstantial and it all depend on type of beer, % of alcohol, storage and what type of carbonation method you are using.

Happy for you that there is plenty to drink.

Most if not all of my bottled beer does not improve in the fridge that much, whereas the the cupboard they start getting great 1 - 4 months or so. My two cents, let them improve out of the fridge, increase production and hold off drinking until you can let them develop a month or so before you chill and drink.

For all my Lagers I leave them for a minimum of 2 months in storage. If I have a bit of fridge space I'll put them in there for a while

My Ales I get into after a month and at that stage they are about as far along as the Lagers.

I guess it comes down to how green you can drink them...

Back