Does My Gas Manifold Allow My Beers To Taste The Same ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Does my gas manifold allow my Wheat beer , my pilsner , my Sour beer my Stout all to blend their smells and aromas together so my sour beer affects my pilsner my stout affect my wheatb ear as they are all joined by common lines ?

Pumpy :unsure:

No Pumpy, so long as positive pressure is maintained from the gas bottle no backward leaching can happen, and even if you lost pressure then the results would be minimal. If your worried get some check valves.

Andrew

No Pumpy, so long as positive pressure is maintained from the gas bottle no backward leaching can happen, and even if you lost pressure then the results would be minimal. If your worried get some check valves.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew Its been bothering me for a while.

if I use the check valves can I still see the pressure in the kegs on my regulator ?

Andrew

Eggzactly!

Pumpy, you have to stop smoking that stuff. :ph34r: :lol:

T

Thanks Andrew Its been bothering me for a while.

if I use the check valves can I still see the pressure in the kegs on my regulator ?

Yes, the check valves don't effect the pressure to the kegs and the regulator shows the pressure that is being applied to the kegs as far as I am aware, so unless the pressure in your kegs for some bizarre reason is greater than the pressure set on your regulator then the regulator will always display the pressure in the kegs. :wacko:

Andrew

P.S I hope with thanks to Gregs for getting that through my thick skull, hope I listened well Greg.

I am learning go away Pete this is important stuff thanks Andrew :)

No Pumpy, so long as positive pressure is maintained from the gas bottle no backward leaching can happen
Bad Science Alarm

Pressure is not flow. Uneven pressure will cause a net flow, but within a region of even pressure you don't get a net flow of gas from one place to another. The regulator measures the gauge pressure (pressure above atmospheric... zero on the regulator isn't a vacuum). The pressure at the regulator must be the same as the pressure at the top of the liquid in the kegs, otherwise gas would flow until this occurs. To say that 'since there is pressure there is no net flow' is silly - there's pressure with the keg open isn't there? It's just in balance with the atmosphere.

If you have two kegs both attached to the regulator in parallel (splitter) and thus at equal pressure then there will be no NET flow of gas, but gas is still free to diffuse throughout that system. It is entirely possible that some volatiles from the first keg wander over to the second keg. The first question to ask would be how volatile are the molecules in the beer at those temperatures/pressures? The next is whether or not those volatiles will affect the beer in the keg, especially whether or not they can be absorbed, or if they'll just sit on top of the beer.

...., but gas is still free to diffuse throughout that system. It is entirely possible that some volatiles from the first keg wander over to the second keg.

+1 for pressure does not necessarily mean flow.

If both kegs are stable at say 5psi without leaks, and lets say Pumpy decides not to drink beer for a month - highly unlikely I know :D . Then although there is a static pressure, there would be no positive gas flow , and perhaps an opportunity for CO2 particles to roam freely.

I think what Pumpy sees might be a problem is if one keg was used 90% of the time, then there might be a chance of 'volatiles' being siphoned up (from the keg thats not used as much) to the manifold and possibly mixed with the serving gas flow.

So Pumpy does your Fat Yak smell like a Porter?

what I noticed can happen though is if you have some carbed up kegs and you add an uncarbed one the beer rushes up the gas lines from the carbed kegs.. I just have tee pieces so I gotta disconnect the carbed kegs then pressurise the new one then reconnect. I need a manifold bad but theyre so fuggin expensive. :( If I get one with check valves can I just connect the extra keg and will the no-returns stop that happening?, I'm thinking of getting some of these one's when I can afford it; http://www.brewersdiscount.net/item83186.ctlg

I am learning go away Pete this is important stuff thanks Andrew :)

Pumpy,

Didn't mean to be rude but the initial question left a lot to be desired. :rolleyes:

FYI I have just placed non-return valves on every beer line in my kegorator (four). Did this to save dollars in buying a four way manifold which would have cost much more.
Initial trial of carbonating my Dunkelweizen to 3.1 volumes (Trial pressure only) after disconnecting the other three gas QD's & leaving for a few days seems to have worked well but one Swallow Doesn't Make a Summer mate so will keep on trying out different pressures until I think this works or not.
Another plus for the non-return valves is the fact that you cannot get any beer regurgitated into your lines from moments of inattention.

Still shitty on me old son? :icon_cheers:

T

I only have 2 taps on at home, one is soda water and one is the beer of the moment. Only once has the soda started to taste like beer. Can't remember of I played with the beer keg this time more than others. I go through about 1 keg of soda per week and beer less than that. I have found when connecting a new keg of soda the CO2 will come from the beer keg and then stabilise from the bottle. I worked this out from the time I had an over full beer keg that allowed beer back into the common gas line. To avoid this happening I know disconnect all kegs before hooking up a new one.

Look science says that all system will acheive equlibrium.

So if you have one keg with higher pressure than another, and no flow restrictor on your gas line - then fluid will flow. What that means to your beer flavour / aroma will depend on time.

Hey, I love the alarm mentioned earlier!!!!!!

Fear_n_Loath

what I noticed can happen though is if you have some carbed up kegs and you add an uncarbed one the beer rushes up the gas lines from the carbed kegs..
I have always thought of this as odd, but then I don't overfill my kegs, so the gas-in diptube is never in liquid.

This is understandable though if there is foam or liquid at the bottom of the gas-in diptube, since the uncarbed keg and carbed keg suddenly become connected - one with a higher pressure than the other, thus net flow.

Look science says that all system will acheive equlibrium.

So if you have one keg with higher pressure than another, and no flow restrictor on your gas line - then fluid will flow. What that means to your beer flavour / aroma will depend on time.
Equilibrium in that the volatiles will distribute evenly throughout the system. Fluid will flow if it can get up the diptube. Obviously a half-filled, pressurised keg will not send liquid into an empty keg if you connect the gas lines together. The pressure however will be the same after some amount of time.

Hey, I love the alarm mentioned earlier!!!!!!
Slap on the back of the hand with a ruler to AndrewQLD. Tut tut tut
mad0025.gif

Latest posts

Back