Does gelatin stop the fermentation process?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi

If you add gelatin to secondary FV or keg does it halt the fermentation process, if its making the yeast drop down. I let my beers ferment out in the keg, after about 8 or 9 days in initial fermenter. I have been adding some 'grain shots' - (200 g steeped grain to the kit recipe) and it really makes the beer cloudy. I have never had to use gelatin before, so I guess AG would have to use...

Thanks

If you're pitching an appropriate quantity of healthy yeast your ferment should be well and truly done by 8 or 9 days (assuming standard gravity ale at normal temps 18-20 degrees). Gelatin will do a great job of clearing your beer up, give it a go.

Well I guess it does not stop the fermentation completely otherwise it would not carbonate the beer if bottling?

BTW will gelatin only clear the beer chilled?

Trustyrusty said:
Well I guess it does not stop the fermentation completely otherwise it would not carbonate the beer if bottling?
No

Trustyrusty said:
BTW will gelatin only clear the beer chilled?
Yes (evidently but I've never seen it done warm to be sure)

I've not yet tried using gelatin as my beers after cold crashing generally come out really clear. Is gelatin an alternative to cold crashing or an "as well as"? I do have a couple of packs of finings which I'm tempted to try out although not in my robust porter (probably no point) that's on the go at the moment.

welly2 said:
I've not yet tried using gelatin as my beers after cold crashing generally come out really clear. Is gelatin an alternative to cold crashing or an "as well as"? I do have a couple of packs of finings which I'm tempted to try out although not in my robust porter (probably no point) that's on the go at the moment.
gelatin works best by chilling the beer as cold as possible, then adding the gelatin when you can't get it any colder. Leave for 48 hours and then keg or bottle. it will probably work to some extent with warm beer but definitely not as well. search this site for "how to gelatin" for a good guide. although that guide recommends a full teaspoon of gelatin per batch but a lot of people think 1 teaspoon is too much and only use half a teaspoon.

Think I have done the wrong thing, what will it do if warm as effect the beer? It is too early for the beer to be chilled yet...

I added some gelatin in the transfer to the Keg... but I normally naturally carbonate the keg so I did not want to add

before I put in the fridge as I might lose some carbonation.

But I was reading about adding gelatin to the fermenter so I got confused, they have been talking about cold crashing.

Don't worry it will still carbonate ok. When you chill it will probably drop quite clear. Next time add gelatine after chilling

I only use gelatine for non-flocculant yeasts and find it works best below 10C. It'll still work above that temp, just not as well. As for carbonating, even when a beer's ended up crystal clear, there's always been enough yeast in suspension to fully carbonate either in keg or bottle.

I'd advise against using gelatine in the serving keg though, as it's very easy to disturb the crap it pulls down to the bottom of the keg which kind of defeats the whole point of using it in the 1st place.

Edit - and make sure you use the flavourless & odourless stuff!

Latest posts

Back