Does Coppers Use Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
Does Coopers use sugar in their beers?

About 16% of the grist in the sparkling and pale. If you do a search you can find all the info on here for their recipes, for their grist at least.

Currently, sugar forms part of the grist in Sparkling Ale and Stout (and maybe Dark Ale but I'm not sure).

I was just asking because I bought a box of Dr Tim's tonight and the blurb on the side says

Thomas Cooper, founder of Coopers, wrote in 1874 that "There are some half dozen breweries besides ours in and about Adelaide, but they all use a good deal of sugar and so on for brewing, but we only use malt and hops, consequently ours being pure the Doctors recommend it to all their patients."

I was just asking because I bought a box of Dr Tim's tonight and the blurb on the side says

Thomas Cooper, founder of Coopers, wrote in 1874 that "There are some half dozen breweries besides ours in and about Adelaide, but they all use a good deal of sugar and so on for brewing, but we only use malt and hops, consequently ours being pure the Doctors recommend it to all their patients."

I don't think you should hold them to advertising blurbs for 134 years. Coke would still be made with cocaine, corsets would be made with whale bone...

Im not trying to hold them to that, it just seems a little misleading to me to have a quote like that on a beer called Dr Tims Traditional Ale.

Dr Tim's is Pale Ale in a can, which as I said above no longer has sugar in it.

The Traditional Ale is probably all malt.

Spot on, the Coopers Premium Lager is the only Coopers beer that publicly states it does not use sugar today.

If their advertising thinks no sugar is a bonus then they would be more likely to state that on all their beers that don't use sugar.

Soooo, It is plausable to think that their beers that don't stipulate "no sugar" more than likely do contain sugar.
However I am not a Coopers employee, and I don't think anyone else on AHB is either, but a word from the horses mouth would be interesting.

Andrew

The Coopers grist have been posted on ahb in the past. Try a search and you can find them. They were in the background of a photo of one of the Cooper's at the brewery.

From that you just need to know the brew length, 43hl i believe it was at the time, and you can get a pretty good idea of how much sugar there is. I did the calculations in the past but don't have them any more.

Dr Tim's is Pale Ale in a can, which as I said above no longer has sugar in it.

Nah its just "Pale" in a can, sucrose and all.
More reason not to be sucked in by label blurb.

OLD Thread with info

?? Would be good to get an employee in here :)

I think it would be stupidity on the part of Coopers to put an "all malt, unlike our sugary competition" blurb on a can of anything but an all malt beer.

I am not an employee of Coopers but I am sure that as of late last year, my above statement is correct.

the brew length, 43hl i believe it was at the time,
That must have been a very long time ago. 43 hec is very, very small. Shorter than LC, MSB or even Gage...

That must have been a very long time ago. 43 hec is very, very small. Shorter than LC, MSB or even Gage...

43,000L or 430 hL brewlength if i remember correctly. That was before the move to Regency park, where i assume that the brewlength probably increased by a pretty large factor.

I don't think you should hold them to advertising blurbs for 134 years. Coke would still be made with cocaine, corsets would be made with whale bone...

And let's not even get started on tobacco pouches. :eek:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back