Does Australian Beers Contain Fructose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am from India and I am collecting information about beers of different nations.

I am just wondering if Australian beers contain Fructose? If yes, tell me the names/brands of few beers and the % of Fructose in it.

Thanks a lot.

Curious

Namaste.

Most mainstream Australian beers are made partly from Sucrose, from cane sugar. Sucrose is a disaccharide consisting of a molecule of Fructose attached to a molecule of Glucose. During fermentation the yeast splits the bond between the two molecules using the enzyme Invertase, then proceeds to ferment each sugar to alcohol and carbon dioxide. The finished beers would not contain any fructose.
So in answer to your question, I doubt if any Australian beers still have any fructose in them following fermentation.

i know nothing ... but google revealed this thread...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/fructose-free-beer-127189/

these postings that sound like they know what they are talking about....

There should be little, if any, fructose (or glucose or maltose or sucrose for that matter) left in your beer. I suppose if you yeast poop out because of a high ABV you might have some. The unfermentable sugars that give beers residual sweetness are complex polysaccharides (i.e. dextrins), not the aforementioned mono- and disaccharides.

Grain-based beer shouldn't have any fructose in the first place: the sugars all come from starch breakdown and so are all glucose-based. Non grain-based sweeteners (table sugar, candi sugar, honey, fruit) are the only things likely to add fructose to your beer, and those will tend to ferment out completely unless your ABV is going onto the double digits and the yeast tire out.

There is some sucrose and fructose in grains. Here is a table with data I got from the Briggs book:
Starch Conversion - German Brewing Techniques
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title...tarch_breakdown
Sucrose is the transport sugar in plants. I.e. it is used to move sugar from the leaves to the grains where it is converted to clucose chains (a.k.a starch). It is natutural that some is left in the grain.
But as others said, fructose and glucose are the first sugars that are consumed by the yeast. Even high ABV beers should have little unless you prime with sucrose or DME.
I gather from all of that... there should be little or no fructose in Australian, or beer from any country for that matter....

Hi Michael/Bribie,

Thank you very much for the response and the detailed analysis on my request. I will take your inputs for my study and will check out for other responses as well.

And importantly, I doubt "fructose" is used as an ingredient

Why do you ask curious? I'm curious :ph34r:

I can't help but feel this study is some David gillepse quackery, quite possibly well intentioned, but doomed to achieve nothing but distract people from real issues

I can't help but feel this study is some David gillepse quackery, quite possibly well intentioned, but doomed to achieve nothing but distract people from real issues
Either that or someone should be doing an IP check...

Hi,

I just joined this forum only to get answers for the question I have posted and it was a real need. There is no specific motto to distract people as such as I know the importance of time and thoughts.

Regret for the inconveniences caused..

Either that or someone should be doing an IP check...

Hi,

I just joined this forum only to get answers for the question I have posted and it was a real need. There is no specific motto to distract people as such as I know the importance of time and thoughts.

Regret for the inconveniences caused..
ignore them... they're just talking shit ... you're fine.... ask anything you want

Back