Do You Mash Starter Wort And Bottle It ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Does anyone mash their wort for thier yeast starter at about 1,040 SG ?

It must be cheaper than using dry malt .

what bottles do you 'no chill' it into ?

pumpy :)

Does anyone mash their wort for thier yeast starter at about 1,040 SG ?

It must be cheaper than using dry malt .

what bottles do you 'no chill' it into ?

pumpy :)

Looked into this a few weeks ago.
Not only cheaper, but also more convenient as I can make bulk starter wort, and not have to make up some each time.

Unfortunately, its not as simple as that.
Well at least making it in bulk and storing it.
Apparently there is a risk of botulism poisoning which can cause death !!
Botulism can thrive in the oxygen free, sugary environment of stored wort.
The only way to kill them is to bring the wort to 120 degrees or something.
Some of the americans use pressure cookers, or "canners" to cook the wort post bottling, incl Jamil Zainashef
The pressure allows the surrounding water to boil at a much higher temperature.
This kills off any of the botulism spores.
Google "canning wort".

Of course there is nothing stopping you making fresh starter wort each time from a mash.
Both seem like too much trouble to me, so I have stuck with the DME for now.

Only very occasionally do I actually mash for starter wort, most of the time I use left- over wort from filtering kettle trub through a cloth, or on the odd occasion I've used dried malt extract. Freezing it helps with the storage aspect, doesn't have to be frozen in glass, only cooked in it.

I use Schott bottles, they're great for yeast ranchin', can handle no- chill with ease if that's what you want to do, but just about any lab glassware with a sensible closure would do. Here's a couple:
med_gallery_9839_451_95127.jpg

I usually collect my starter wort after sparging a normal batch. I have a jug with a handle that sits perfectly on the kettle and keeps collecting the trickle still coming from the mash tun while my wort is brought to boil. Got that idea from Tony. Sometimes, depending on efficiency, I add more sparge water so I get even more starter wort. Once collected I transfer from the jug 1.25L plastic bottles and chuck them straight into the freezer. When I need them later I defrost and boil for a while. This also saves me from Botulism, not that that ever worried me though...

I usually get 2-4L of saved-starter-wort from each batch of beer I brew; either from the last mash runnings and/or from the kettle-dregs.
Mash runnings I boil on the stove and then when it's cool, shake it up to aerate it, keep it in the fridge it in a plastic bottle and boil and adjust gravity prior to use (any risk of Botulism will then be infinitesimally small - no more than making any beer).

However, I do have about 5kg of grain that was crushed more than 12 months ago that I didn't get around to using, so rather than throw it, I plan to use that to make a batch of starter-word (when I collect some more storage-bottles and have room in the fridge).

Howdy all,

Im able to brew/produce around 70l of wort at once, but the fermenter holds only 60l, so the surplus wil be frozen in one liter portions.

Any time its needed, just put one bottle in the microwave.

frozen_wort.jpg

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back