Do I Have An Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

govorko1974

Reaction score
Gidday brewers, put down my 4th brew on monday night, i have a can opener that takes the whole top off the kit can but has a habit of taking some of the label with it, normal this is no problem but this time i missed a piece of label and while checking it on tuesday night discovered a small piece of label floating on top of brew. Sterilised teaspoon and took lid off to scoop it out, this made me paranoid that i may get an infection due to opening fermenter up. to my horror today have discovered another piece of label floating on surface but have decided not to scoop it out. Have learnt a lesson....take label off tin before opening....Am using POR hop tea bag in brew for first time...when i open fermenting fridge the smell of brew is very different to previous brews and dont know whether this is the hops..as have only used cascade hops before this. My question for all you more experienced brewers is this...am i able to tell visual/smelling whether i have infection or not or am i best to wait until fermenting is finished and taste it, Also should i scoop out the other bit of label or just leave it...any advice would be greatful..
cheers
matt

Gidday brewers, put down my 4th brew on monday night, i have a can opener that takes the whole top off the kit can but has a habit of taking some of the label with it, normal this is no problem but this time i missed a piece of label and while checking it on tuesday night discovered a small piece of label floating on top of brew. Sterilised teaspoon and took lid off to scoop it out, this made me paranoid that i may get an infection due to opening fermenter up. to my horror today have discovered another piece of label floating on surface but have decided not to scoop it out. Have learnt a lesson....take label off tin before opening....Am using POR hop tea bag in brew for first time...when i open fermenting fridge the smell of brew is very different to previous brews and dont know whether this is the hops..as have only used cascade hops before this. My question for all you more experienced brewers is this...am i able to tell visual/smelling whether i have infection or not or am i best to wait until fermenting is finished and taste it, Also should i scoop out the other bit of label or just leave it...any advice would be greatful..
cheers
matt

You should be fine, I've done far worse and never had an infection. Opening up the fermenter briefly is not usually a problem, you do this when dry hopping, racking to secondary etc.

I'd just leave the bit of paper in there, it won't do any harm. You can taste and smell hydrometer samples if you want otherwise just wait until the brew is fully fermented then see how it tastes.

My advice: Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew.

You should be fine, I've done far worse and never had an infection. Opening up the fermenter briefly is not usually a problem, you do this when dry hopping, racking to secondary etc.

I'd just leave the bit of paper in there, it won't do any harm. You can taste and smell hydrometer samples if you want otherwise just wait until the brew is fully fermented then see how it tastes.

My advice: Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew.

This ^ :drinks:

+1 should be all good, just leave the bit of label in it will not do anything.
The hops you added may make the brew smell a little bit different while fermenting but should be a 'good' smell.

Back