Do I Add Hot Water ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark.farrell1

Reaction score
Hi all

I just bought a tub of brewers selection Lagar, and the instructions say to just add 5L of cold water and yeast. Do i add hot water to help start the yeast or follow the directins to the tea. my thoughts would normally be to ad hot water, but i in the past i have only brewed using the can and malt receips.

Thanks all

mark

umm maybe im reading your post wrong, but you want to add your yeast when the temp is between 18-22C if its an ale yeast. its got nothing to do with hot or cold water (other than hot water will kill your yeast). but im sure you know this, so what am I misreading?

and why 5L? you making a tiny batch?

umm maybe im reading your post wrong, but you want to add your yeast when the temp is between 18-22C if its an ale yeast. its got nothing to do with hot or cold water (other than hot water will kill your yeast). but im sure you know this, so what am I misreading?

and why 5L? you making a tiny batch?

I was just wondering if i add hot water to this brew or not, its a lagar yeast that i got with it.

brewers_selection_pics_002.JPG

well your going to disolve the goo im assuming so you have hot water. you need to cool the water down to about 10C for a lager as you want it to ferment around there (or a bit lower). I again ask why 5L. a normal batch is around 20L

Use 5 litres of cold water to mix. Try to get a much oxygen into the water as possible when mixing and get the temperature down to lager temperatures. No hot water needed.

CM2 - It looks like it's a wort kit.

well your going to disolve the goo im assuming so you have hot water. you need to cool the water down to about 10C for a lager as you want it to ferment around there (or a bit lower). I again ask why 5L. a normal batch is around 20L

It comes in a 15L tub and says to add 5L of water. Not really up with the whole lagering thing but will keep it as low temp as i can

It comes in a 15L tub and says to add 5L of water. Not really up with the whole lagering thing but will keep it as low temp as i can

Mark, 15l wort kit. Add as much water as you want. Obviously this will affect the alcohol level, 5 litres of extra water should get you around 4.5% alcohol ?. Pour wort into your fermenter, add desired water, add yeast, put lid on fermenter, away you go. Yeast likely to be a lager (Saflager perhaps) Try to keep fermenter as cool as you can. If you have a beer fridge and controller, good. If not, well you'll know what to do. Beer should be fine.

Good luck.

ahh its like a fresh wort kit. sorry get it now. yeah just see what the temp is and if you need hot water to get it up to about 10C (which you wont), then do so. otherwise normal tap water is fine

Maybe if you stick the wort kit in the fridge until it is about 10 deg or so and add 5l of cold water it should be good to pitch for lager. Hope the weather is cold 'round your way or the rain keeps things cool (I heard you got a bit down there lately). You need to keep the kit below 14 deg to get good lager.

Back