Diy: Filter Beer For $30!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjornJ

Reaction score
DIY: Home made beer filter for $30

IMG00038_20091212_1435.jpg

The filter consists of a pond/aquarium pump forcing liquid through a filter cone housed in a food-container with screw-on lid.

The “In” part of the pump has a piece of plastic tube that fits perfectly in the cube tap.
By opening the cube tap, beer fills the pump, this is necessary for it to function as it is not able to self-prime. The beer enters the food container on the outside of the filter cone, having to travel through the filter before being going up the “Out” hose and into the fermenter for bottling. This filters the beer to produce a brighter beer and still leaves enough yeast to bottle carbonate.

Here is a picture of the whole thing on the side. After pumping sanitizing liquid for a while, then a bit of boiled, cooled water it filtered beer like a champ!

IMG00030_20091211_2216.jpg

To my surprise the filter worked beautifully without the pump being turned on.
Gravity alone was enough to force beer through the pump, through the filter and into the fermenter. Having spent quite a while getting the pump converted from being a submerged pump I of course ignored this and turned it on anyway, to speed things along and to feel good about having spent the time in the first place ;)

Parts list from Bunnings:
Filter cone 5 micron, $6.50
Food container with screw-on lid $3.60
2 x garden hose barbs 10-13 mm $2.00
Pack of hose clamps $2.00
10-pack of rubber seals for fixing leaking toilets $7.50
3 m of 10 mm silicone hose $5
A couple of pieces of 12 mm hose $2

The filter cone was only $6.50 at Bunnings at Rockdale, a 5 micron sediment-reducing drinking water filter. This is the cheapest filter they have and about 3 times as long as necessary.
This is my third version of the filter, so I had already cut a piece that did not fit perfectly with this food container. This is why I use the rubber seals, throwing in one after the other until I had a good, tight fit where the beer can not go anywhere but through the filter. As the filter is quite solid I think having at least a single rubber seal would be good to make a tight seal, but buying a 10-pack was probably a bit over the top.

I drilled holes in the lid, and glued the hose barbs in from the underside.

IMG00011_20091210_2007.jpg

This is the finished filter housing, showing the hose barbs glued in place, and the sawed off piece of filter cone in the box with some rubber seals both underneath and on-top to create a good seal. I was worried I had not cut the filter with perfectly straight sides, allowing beer to pass around the bottom of the filter, hence the rubber seals. The rubber seals are the black round pieces of rubber with a hole in the middle.

IMG00028_20091211_0707.jpg

Here it is with the silicone hoses attached with hose clamps.
The filter is now ready, and to my disappointment (after screwing around making the pump able to pump without being submerged) it works great without a pump.

So the total cost of this filter is $28.60 not counting glue, so let’s say $30.
Using the pump is optional, it would add another $24.

IMG00033_20091211_2217__1_.jpg

As I use a pond/aquarium pump for my immersion chiller I figured I should use this pump for the filter as well.

The pump is also from Bunnings, costing $24 from memory.
The problem with the pump is that it only works when submerged.

I fixed this by taking off the front cover and gluing a piece of silicone hose over the water intake hole. It now works out of water, much better than having to drop the entire pump in the beer!
The pump is not self-priming, it still has to be filled with liquid before it will pump, but this is easily achieved by putting it lower than the cube/fermenter and let gravity fill the pump before turning it on. Before putting the “lid” back on the pump I gave it a round of silicone thread tape to make a watertight seal, otherwise it would draw air in from around the lid.

IMG00019_20091210_2020.jpg

IMG00022_20091210_2029.jpg

IMG00029_20091211_0707.jpg

IMG00026_20091210_2038.jpg

Test run with water:
The food container leaked water around the lid, the plastic threads were not water-tight. I tried several times with silicon thread tape with no luck. What made it water-tight was a piece of plastic bag cut to size with two holes in it for the barbs, then just screwed the lid on and it was no longer leaking..

IMG00035_20091211_2242.jpg

Disclaimer:
I know beer filters are available from homebrew shops, but thought it would be more fun trying to make one myself.
I understand not everyone is interested in filtering their beer; this DIY would then not be for them :D
I crach-chilled my beer, added isinglass and polyclar before trying the filter. This was a lager with 20 % flaked rice, so it was VERY light and clear even before any finings. Another beer would maybe not have gone so easily through the filter without any help, I don’t know but was impressed how quickly the beer was going through the filter by gravity alone.
I washed off the filter with hot water and sanitizer liquid before air drying it, washing everything else with hot water and soap before sanitizing everything again.
Will I use the filter again or just cut a new part next time?
Not sure at this time, I want to see if it is possible to use it again before throwing it out.
The only difference would be using 1/3 of a $6.50 filter once or twice, so either way filtering beer is not an expensive exercise.

And it was great fun making it!

:D

Thanks
BjornJ

A+++++

Beautiful work there mate! I love DIY jobs sothis kind of thing appeals
to me lots.

Well done!

the housing's really aren't that expensive (unless you go to craftbrewer). they're essentially just water filter sets you can pick up from a hardware store, they even sell the 1micron membranes for like $15-20 a pop iirc.

Thanks guys!

It was partially because I think $100+ for a beer filter is a bit much just to try it out, and because it would be great fun trying to source parts from BigW and Bunnings, and building it myself.

At Bunnings they sell the filter housings for $66 I think it was, and the 5 micron filters for $6.50 and 1 micron for about $22 as DasBier says so you could easily make a "proper" one.

I just thought it was a fun project.

thanks
Bjorn

Home made beer filter for $30

Nice work, and at 1/3 the price of buying the real deal it's what home brewing is about!

Love your work, mate. Love little projects like this which produce great result at low expense.

Have you filtered a pale beer bright, like a pils etc. ?

Thanks for sharing.

reVox

Thats NOT silicone hose .... Its CVT , Clear vinyl tube...

and thred tape is Teflon NOT silicone ...

cheers

Nice little filter project there BjornJ,

One question though, the pump you've modified as it is designed to be a submersible pump, does this suffer from overheating by non submersing it? My understanding is that these motors are designed to be cooled via the water/liquid they are submersed in.

Just food for thought.

Cheers SJ

FNQ Bunyip.
you are right, thanks for spotting that.

Supra-Jim,
the pump does not overheat as it is filled with liquid while pumping. To be honest I don't think they can overheat either way as I pulled mine out of the water lots of times while testing and had it running for some time on the kitchen sink. It is basically a small electrical engine with a plastic rotor on it.
The modification I did was to cover the inlet hole with a piece of hose that fits perfectly outside the small plastic "wings" around the hole, then inserted a smaller piece of hose inside this again. After testing this setup I found turbulence was creating air bubbles when going from the small to the large tubing, so I cut the bigger piece down a bit and it worked great.

reVox,
the beer I filtered was a very light-colored, clear beer so guessing a pale ale would be quite similar when it comes to filtering.

Are aquarium pumps ok for coming into contact with low pH liquids? I assume that they wouldn't transfer any grease or anything, as they are rated for aquariums, just wondering if they'd leach anything in acidic environments. Still, a nice little project!

Kaiser Soze,
I don't know much about this pump other than by picking it apart it seems pretty basic:
An electric motor with a propeller on the end, the motor is in a plastic container filled with some melted plastic kind of component and only the rotor sticks out.
I have picked it apart, filtered a fair amount of water and water/sanitizer through it and it looked very clean (no axel grease, etc) to me.

Guess the bottom line is just that the filter can be easily made for $30 if you want to try filtering your beer, and that -if you want- a pump can be added.

The pump can be an aquarium pump like in my case, or a drill pump (bunnings sells the drill run pumps for about $25) or a hand-pump, one of those rubber balloons on boat gas tanks that act as a one-way valve. THat would also work and they cost about $6.50, you would start out by gravity filtering and if necessary start pumping the balloon..

Can't remember if I saw the "balloon" at BigW or Bunnings, just remember it was $6.50 :D

balloon.jpg

Are the water filter cartridges fron bunnings able too cleaned and reused, using them for home brew? And is anything under 1 micron a overkill?

Are the water filter cartridges fron bunnings able too cleaned and reused, using them for home brew? And is anything under 1 micron a overkill?

i believe they're fine. 1-3ish microns "absolute" or otherwise you will notice no difference. they'll filter large particles and yeast cells very easily. protein haze and yeast buds you'll need .45-.2 micron filters.

Any pics of the filter while it was dirty?

I dont think a 5 micron fillter would catch much at all... 1 or 2 micron "absolute" is what you need ..

DIY projects are good but if the info is not all there it just frustrates ...

Cheers

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the filter after use.
But to the naked eye it looked as good as new.
I could not see any parts or stuff on it.

Playing around with this project I read a bit about water filters.
There are "nominal" and "absolute", the one I used is a nominal one which appearantly removes up to 85% of the particals of the spec'd size (in this case 5 micron) . The absolute filters do 99.9%.

I've read posts from people saying they have bottle carbonated beers after filtering through a 1 micron filter, but I have no experience with this as I filtered my first beer on Saturday.

What I did was bottle 4 Coopers PET bottles with unfiltered beer before attaching the filter, and labelled these "A".
I then labelled all the filtered ones "B" so I can compare the result.

I gave it a good wash and rinse before sanitising it and left it to air dry. Will have a look at it at the next bottling time and see if I want to experiment by re-using it or just saw off another part of the filter cone.
Not to save $1 but just to know if they can be reused.
I guess the only issue would be that they could clog up?

I don't think there are anything else that could go wrong?

thanks
Bjorn

Latest posts

Back