DIY Brew Control Panels and House Insurance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as "Your local smiling insurance salesman" I can tell you that all insurance companies look for recovery opportunities and ALL major house fires are investigated by professional investigation companies.

If a fire is cause by something illegal (I believe doing electrical work when unlicensed is) id be pretty confident the insurance company would deny your claim, or, if it was already paid out and further investgations reveal the cause, they would look to sue you directly to re-coup your money.

Im trying to find a precedent for this...

.DJ. said:
Most of that is installing/relocating hard wired to mains units, with the exception of "or constructing an extension lead and replacing a plug on the end of a lead."
But not worth the risk with young kids in the house, Think I best research getting a sparky to look at it.

-gav

If there was a fire, and the control unit was not being used IE not plugged in, I can't see it having any baring on insurance.

MastersBrewery said:
If there was a fire, and the control unit was not being used IE not plugged in, I can't see it having any baring on insurance.
That would be different as its not in use...but it was plugged in and did cause domething then your screwed.

gava said:
Most of that is installing/relocating hard wired to mains units, with the exceptioon of "or constructing an extension lead and replacing a plug on the end of a lead."
But not worth the risk with young kids in the house, Think I best research getting a sparky to look at it.

-gav
And includes wirring up an STC or something similar and/or repairing an appliance. The law covers more than just hard wired equipment.

Also found a statement about "You can't retrospectively get DIY electrical work certified even if its in 100% working order and to standard"
looks like I'm going to have to chance it and just unplug it after every brew.

-gav

MastersBrewery said:
You'd hope that would be the case. My gut feeling is the insurance company would take a standing similar to: "Even if your DIY equipment didn't cause this fire, you're obviously not taking due care, so we're still not paying.".

I hope I'm wrong but I've seen just how far they're willing to go to get out of paying.

They will do ANYTHING posible

I have known of car accidents where they didint pay out because the tryes where not inflated to the correct pressure.

If they can save $500,000 by finding out a way to not pay you, they will.

Ducatiboy stu said:
They will do ANYTHING posible

I have known of car accidents where they didint pay out because the tryes where not inflated to the correct pressure.

If they can save $500,000 by finding out a way to not pay you, they will.
This is more the exception rather than the rule... and i would HIGHLY doubt a claim being denied due to incorrect pressure...

and no-one ever hears the instances where claims are paid where they dont have to be...

.DJ. said:
This is more the exception rather than the rule... and i would HIGHLY doubt a claim being denied due to incorrect pressure...

and no-one ever hears the instances where claims are paid where they dont have to be...
Have a mate who owns a panel shop. The assesors are always checking for any mechanicle defect. When they want to be they will be real pricks. I have seen come in and check tyres regardless of the accident.

The bloke who assesors your claim my not work for your insurance company. He really doesnt care

.DJ. said:

Absolutely! I have a friend in Insurance (not sales) who is forever whining about the number of payouts he knows should be looked at but aren't. They are so busy processing claims that they "rubber stamp" approve the majority. They recoup their payouts in the premiums they charge and the knowledge that the majority of policy holders are over insured and will never make a claim.

Insurers are the biggest gamblers, their most valuable employees are the Actuaries (the bookmakers).

I have emailed him regarding many points in this thread, he is to get back to me about the original post but believes it would be considered an "accidental fire"

My mate's company is one of the top three insurers in Australia
Quote; We have never had a claim that’s been denied because of a situation such as this.

That is not opinion but fact

But what if the did have a situation ...just because they have yet to have one doesnt automaticaly mean they would pay....

But I sure dont want to be the test case...

Ducatiboy stu said:
Have a mate who owns a panel shop. The assesors are always checking for any mechanicle defect. When they want to be they will be real pricks. I have seen come in and check tyres regardless of the accident.

The bloke who assesors your claim my not work for your insurance company. He really doesnt care
I know how it works..

So they checked the tyres, but did they deny the claim... Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story...

NewtownClown said:
Absolutely! I have a friend in Insurance (not sales) who is forever whining about the number of payouts he knows should be looked at but aren't. They are so busy processing claims that they "rubber stamp" approve the majority. They recoup their payouts in the premiums they charge and the knowledge that the majority of policy holders are over insured and will never make a claim.
so true... liability claims are the worst. Its more economical to just pay out that try to fight or investigate..

.DJ. said:
I know how it works..

So they checked the tyres, but did they deny the claim... Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story...
Journalism 101

What about the Keg King temp controllers? I'd say they wouldn't be covered either as they are not stamped.

Back