Ditch Or Pitch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanga

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I made some Hard lemonade a few days ago. It'll probably taste crud, but I wanted to give it a go (and use up the lemons). So I made it up, and put in some of the Coopers dried yeast.

And waited, and waited, and still no bubbles.

So I figured either the yeasts a dud, the cellar's too cold, there isn't enough nutrient, or I should have started the yeast off before I pitched it.

Now I've just started off another sachet of yeast. Added some berocca for glucose / yeast nutrient (I've heard it's pretty good). I put it in a sterilised coke bottle with some raw sugar (it's all I have, no glucose around at the moment). It's giving off gas and smelling yeasty.

How long should I let this go before adding it to the worst?

I also went and wrapped my electric lap rug around the fermenter to try and bring the temp of that up a little. What temp's good?

I really don't want to ditch it, but think it's probably done for.

Relax, have another homebrew, pitch another yeast and wait patiently.

All should be fine.

PS: Berocca? Seriously dude WTF?
:D

Relax, have another homebrew, pitch another yeast and wait patiently.

All should be fine.

PS: Berocca? Seriously dude WTF?
:D

Read it somewhere on here I think. Or possibly another homebrew site. It makes sense - plenty of B vitamins, zinc, etc.

I forgot to grab yeast nutrient when I was at the HBS, so figured a berocca would have to do. I nearly added vegemite, I've heard that makes a good yeast nutrient too (and used it in my mead) but figured that berocca flavour would go better with lemonade. :D

Sooo... How long should I let the yeast multiply in the nice warm(er) lounge before I send them down to the cellar?

Sooo... How long should I let the yeast multiply in the nice warm(er) lounge before I send them down to the cellar?

Now.... You can pitch a starter within 30mins of throwing the yeast into a warm water and sugar. Go for it.

PS: Still not sold on the berocca!

Can't quite recall where I found the thread (on this site somewhere...) but someone had reported some pretty nasty outcomes from using berocca in their wort. :eek:

Don't get me wrong I'm quite a fan at times....

berrocca, VEGEMITE? funny stuff.

pitch and wait, however wonder what else you've put in here do you really still wanna drink it? :p

Back