Ditch "Home Brew", it's "Home Made Craft Beer" ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of a mate who worked at a servo for a while, the old school type where he had to go and pump the fuel for the customers. He used to call himself a Fuel Transfer Technician.

I'd rather not have my beer associated with that shite WW are putting out. Artisanal Malt Beverage sounds good to me :p

"Wanna beer?" rolls of the tongue so much easier.

I make beer. I make it at home. It's still beer. I've also been known to make jam and yogurt. I like to call them jam and yogurt.

Undersell and over deliver. Most people who first try my beer say something to the effect 'Doesn't taste like homebrew'. I take it as a compliment.

On a branding front I recently etched some glasses with my own logo. Started with 'Stews Home Brews' but the wife though it sounded a bit budget and the sticker template bloke had problems with getting the letter 'o' to work. Ended up at Stew's Craft Brews which fitted my latte sipping pretensions very well.....

If only I had a beard and fixed-gear bicycle I could have called it Stew's Hipster Brews...........

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
You and Bribie could ride around the Mid North Coast in your tight pants :ph34r:
I think the Mid-North-Coast has more than enough MAMIL's (Middle Age Men in Lycra) as it is. If you made homebrewing the 4th leg of the triathalon we could form the world's biggest brew club just with people in Port Mac. Standard response at parties is 'sorry, won't have another beer as I have to ride/run/swim 40000km first thing in the morning'.

Bizier said:
You can't make craft beer with extract :ph34r:
Not because I believe it, but just applying some (perhaps twisted) logic...

So, if "craft beer" has the connotation that it came from a smaller brewer, and "beer" comes from a megaswillery, then extract from a small maltster, is it craft extract. :p

If you make a batch with extract (or grain for that matter) from a small maltster it should be called "home made craft beer", if it's made with extract from a large maltster it's just plain old "home brew". :ph34r:

"Fancy a slug of my piss" has a much more sophisticated ring to it I find.

A few strong opinions on this. I don't really care either way, as long as no one calls my beer shit, I'm pretty happy.

Black Devil Dog said:
A few strong opinions on this. I don't really care either way, as long as no one calls my beer shit, I'm pretty happy.
That goes for me too. Except when it is shit and people say it's fantastic. That just makes me doubt what they said about the ones that I thought were good.

But seriously, as bradsbrew and others have said, call it what you like, it's your beer. I did like the idea of giving them peoples names though.

maxim0200 said:
I can understand OP's point but we are (mostly) aussie blokes that keep things simple.
Urgh.

Just because we mostly need to keep things simple does not mean that this is the idea state of affairs.

Probably wont be able to call the next batch Bruce, that's what we called the fish. Well actually the fishs' name is Diego Bruce Lee, but we call him Bruce. Kids would get upset if I they thought I was drinking Bruce.

mosto said:
Reminds me of a mate who worked at a servo for a while, the old school type where he had to go and pump the fuel for the customers. He used to call himself a Fuel Transfer Technician.
Was his missus the domestic engineer

bradsbrew said:
You made it so call it whatever you like. I am calling my next batch Bruce!
Sounds a bit wrong when you say it to ya mates,

"Do you want to come over and suck on a Bruce or two"

Back