Disposable N2 bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosco

Reaction score
So iKegger are selling disposable nitro bottles. Has this been posted before?

So im just wondering if there is any where to get a bottle and reg cheaper than iKegger and if it work out cheap enough for the occasional nitro beer served through my Intertap stout nozzle on a Corny keg. Is there enough gas in a disposable bottle for a Corny? I remember seeing a swap and go nitro bottle in Melbourne thread not long ago but its a fair hike for me from memory. You can get the disposable ones on eBay but iKegger is cheaper after a quick look.

Ive used high pressure co2 with the stout nozzle but purging the keg all the time is a pita.

You will have just as much trouble pouring on pure N2 as on pure CO2, Nitro beer is a blend of N2 and CO2.
The exact ratio is determined by the same variables as balancing a draught system, it just involves a bit more maths.

The prices for the coffee systems suck, the N2 bottle/reg/disconnect is still steep but not quite so bad. If you have a welding or tool shop locally they should be able to get the reg and bottle in if they don't have it in stock.

Personally I think Nitro guts the beer - it seriously depresses hop aroma. I would if desperate for a N2 system get a bottle of blended gas, of for preference have a long hard look at Casked beer.
Mark

Wow pure N2. Only other time I've seen that sold in the context of home brewing, was actually a front for a euthanasia support shop.

I can't see it really have a lot of uses in home brewing beer. I guess you could carb up your beer, then de-gas and pour with high pressure nitro, then when you've finished pouring for the day degas again and put back on the CO2 to keep carbonation. Bot sure how well that'll work, but it sounds like a right pain in the ass to me!

Now, if they had these size bottles in 30/70 mix, that would peak my interest. I've seen a few options for outright purchases of 30/70 mix bottles, but they're usually far too big for what I need. This would be quite a nice size.

Yeah more wishful thinking on my part. I do have a beer pump but it needs a good clean and a bit of modifying. It only has one beer inlet (most that ive seen seem to have 2) so im not even sure if it will work. Yet another project on the backburner.

Dude Actrol do it for about $30 bucks cheaper!
Going to steep some more coffee soon. I know it is not the weather for it yet, but just getting started nitro coffee.
P.S. Using a hop sock for crushed beans is not ideal, unless you feel like taking the keg post off every five minutes.

Hi all -
Just going back to one of the original questions on this thread - Does anyone know how much beer/coffee can be pushed with one of those 2.2L pure nitro bottles? at 30psi?
I guess the head space in the keg would make a difference but lets base in on a 19L corny for now.. I want to run cold brew coffee on it so will probably get a smaller corny to do so... I have been trying to find this out but cant seem to lock it down.. other than trying myself but that would mean a lot of coffee to drink at once...
Cheers for any feedback.

Latest posts

Back