Dispensing From Commercial Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono_w

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having a party :beerbang: this weekend and as well as some of my own brew (wich pours perfect) I have a couple of kegs of Carlton Draught on tap.

I have 4 meters of 6mm line running from a fridge to the bar with a celli tap at 100kpa, All I get is foam. i can see the foam in the lines all the way from the keg?
The keg may not be cold enough?
Berfore I waste any more could someone fill me in?

Ceerio

Jonathon.

Any idea what temp the keg is at? Years ago, we used to chill kegs that were being purchased for at least 12 hours in a walk-in fridge. Sat on a bag or two of ice, they generally stayed cool enough for a session through a pluto gun... Although we always recommended using an esky (miracle box) in between to make sure things were cold enough...

Blow some foam onto a beer jug and wait for it to settle out. What temp is the beer ?

I'm guessing they didn't come out of a cool room. 18deg :eek: .. Ill chill them down.. They felt cold :lol:

for my oldmans 50th we put on a keg and at the start all it did was pour foam.
Any way after all the "experts" played with the gas we found that the coupling was not quite locked right.
Undid it and reseated and pushed the lever down and it was alright.Poured very nicely once gas at righ pressure again.....
We picked the keg up from the RSL and it was not out of the coolroom but we did have it in half a 44 full of ice.

Anyway hope this helps

Reg

Isnt the celli tap meant to pour perfect regardless of the length of the line?

Quick Update,

Kegs at 4 degrees and pouring perfectly, thanks for the help guys.

Isnt the celli tap meant to pour perfect regardless of the length of the line?

Yes, but as jonathan pointed out the CO2 is streaming out of solution before the tap, a sure sign of the beer being too warm or overcarbed... fortunately it appears it just needed chilling.

cheers ross

I was stressing that it was my couplings because it was foaming straight out of the keg..

Ross you can probably answer this or someone who works in a pub/bar.
When connecting a new keg that the carbonation pressure is unknown, is it ok to burp the keg and then apply surving pressure?

Latest posts

Back