Dismantling The Tap When Cleaning? Who Does? Who Doesn't?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IF YOU JUST USE GOO TINS =How often do you dismantle your tap?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After every run

• When it looks dirty

• Every 2-5 runs

• Less frequently than every 5 runs

• I never just use goo tins.

• Total voters

michael_aussie

Reaction score
I have seen in many threads people talking about dismantling their tap.
They have discussed infection in a run and the tap being the source.
A FEW QUESTIONS
Do you dismantle your tap after each brew? Or every 2nd or 3rd?
If so how do you do this? I remember someone talking about opening 1/2 way and giving it a swift knock.
Do you lubricate when you reassemble? If so with what?
Does your tap now leak? I have a virgin tap that already slowly drips and attracts those tiny beer flies.

So far, I am only using goo tins.. so fancy solids yet.
Therefore the risk of something getting trapped in the tap is far less than the people with solid additives.
Is tap dismantling only necessary if you have graduted from goo tins??

EDIT - ADDED POLL AFTER READING HATCHY'S REPLY

I just replace mine whenever i can see there's any colour difference that can't be cleaned out. i've tried taking them apart but i'm too weak. and they're so cheap i can't be bothered trying any harder. :p

I started using my kit in January. I'm onto my 7th brew with it and haven't dismantled it fully yet.
I take the filter out as it's easy to remove but I haven't pulled the tap out yet...
When I do use it though it gets cleaned and sterilized e.g. I run sterilizer through it...
Haven't had an infection yet... doesn't drip either.

I pull mine apart every time since I found some hop flowers in one. The batch I'd just bottled didn't have any flowers in it, only pellets. Turn the tap half on & push the tap down on half a chopstick. I only had whole chopsticks, the 1st tap I pulled apart provided me with 2 half chopsticks. I wouldn't gamble on goo not sticking in yr tap.

You should've put a poll on this thread.

Edit: make sure you sponge out the thread in the fermenter as well, that's a great hiding place for things to contaminate a brew. I perch my fermenter precariously on/in my sanitising bucket to sanitise the thread before I put the tap back in.

I have a few spares soak them in between brews. Whilst they are soaking turn tap on and off 3 or 4 times , sometimes even more. Works for me

I've done this but it seems to make them leak sometimes. When I have had one leak its very slow - probably only lose a couple of mL a day and no infection issues - although I don't have vinegar flies hanging around my fermenter... Some people on here have had major leaks though...

You need a pair of pliers to pull the tap apart - takes a bit of force but it does work. To reassemble, just push the handle back into the tap. Once the tap is separated its really easy to clean.

Every single time, no matter what.

BUT - I spent a little extra money on snap taps precisely because I wanted to be able to easily pull them apart for cleaning and sanitising.

I found that the tap doesn't like to be turned much straight after you put them together but after or day or two they seem just as easy to turn as new. I've also not had a leak before I use the half turn wooden spoon bashed into the guts method, It is easy to do you don't need strength just to give it a solid confident smack onto the concrete.

does anyone lubricate the seals when they put the tap back together?
if so, what with?

I have recently started dismantling the taps after been shown how easy it is
If they need a bit of a lube I just use a thin smear of vaseline
Also use a (dedicated use) clean toothbrush to clean the threaded area`s
I generally have a few spare apart soaking in cleaner & swap them out on brew day

Pull em' appart every time, and when the start to leak after about 10 brews just but new ones. But like TB, I'm swapping over to snap type because you can pull them appart a million times and they'll never leak

Pull em' appart every time, and when the start to leak after about 10 brews just but new ones. But like TB, I'm swapping over to snap type because you can pull them appart a million times and they'll never leak

I read up to post 7 until i realised this was about fermenter taps, not serving taps..
GAh I need a coffee..

I read up to post 7 until i realised this was about fermenter taps, not serving taps..
GAh I need a coffee..

I thought that too when I read the topic title. It'd be quite a different response from me if that was the case :eek: I'm a very naughty boy

Every single time, no matter what.

BUT - I spent a little extra money on snap taps precisely because I wanted to be able to easily pull them apart for cleaning and sanitising.
Are these the snap taps you can get from camping stores? Do they have the same diameter on the outlet to fit the bottling pipe thingy?

On topic:
I currently boil up my fermenter taps for 10 minutes in between brews. It still leaves a stain in the barrel of the tap, but I can't see anything actually living through that sort of treatment. Usually throw em away every 3 or 4 brews just to be sure.

does anyone lubricate the seals when they put the tap back together?
if so, what with?

I dont lube the seals on the taps myself, but if you wanted to - use food grade lube from the sponsors above. One tube will last a long time.

(I use it for keg posts when cleaning and reassembling)

Every single time, use the wooden spoon method, soak both parts in pbw overnight, rinse with hot water a couple of times then starsan before reassembling just before use. I generally replace taps every 10 brews or so anyway, they are cheap enough from the big green shed.

Maybe cousins should be dropped right now so he can give some new players some experience and have them ready for next year.
They surely must be kicking themselves for getting him in the first place but they would have known it was a big risk.

Always clean the tap, a tooth brush is good for the thread or you can buy tiny bottle brush type things that fit right into the parts of the tap.

To not clean it is a compromise and if your willing to compromise your beer then well whatever.

I have seen in many threads people talking about dismantling their tap.
They have discussed infection in a run and the tap being the source.
A FEW QUESTIONS
Do you dismantle your tap after each brew? Or every 2nd or 3rd?
If so how do you do this? I remember someone talking about opening 1/2 way and giving it a swift knock.
Do you lubricate when you reassemble? If so with what?
Does your tap now leak? I have a virgin tap that already slowly drips and attracts those tiny beer flies.

So far, I am only using goo tins.. so fancy solids yet.
Therefore the risk of something getting trapped in the tap is far less than the people with solid additives.
Is tap dismantling only necessary if you have graduted from goo tins??

EDIT - ADDED POLL AFTER READING HATCHY'S REPLY

Every brew . It gets horrible in there.
Just chuck it in a cup of boiled water to soften the pull apart is easier.
I don't lube but I have some food grade lube that I might try next time

No option for someone who doesn't use taps :p Taps are for chumps.

Latest posts

Back