Disaster!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sorry to hear of your mishap. As a very unpractical, tool-tard kind of person, I have learned over my 45 years that if I stop and see that something could go wrong, then it probably will. She won't be right, mate. The time I best learned this was when I noted to myself that it was not a good idea to stand on the bathroom sink to scrape paint from the ceiling while proceeding to do it anyway. That thing let go of the wall with no warning at all, hot and cold water pipes broken, scraped paint and tiles and water everywhere ... luckily it was the landlord's problem :ph34r: and luckily no damage was done to me, other than my pride. We live and learn from our mistakes and it was good of you to post this and let others learn from yours. I think a pice of ply on top of or in place of glass shelves is probably the preferred way of preventing what happened to you.

well, using glad wrap with holes punched in is accepted wisdom round here,

LC,

Perhaps a little optimistic there!! I think it would be more widely accepted that gladwrap with holes in it is a recipe for infected or at least oxidised beer (especially if left to lager/age like that)

I feel for you accident though. Nothing worse than cleaning up fermenters worth of spilled beer.

cheers

Darren..

PS: Steve Lacy. Never stand or swing on anything in the bathroom. In my younger days my partner amd me at the time thought it would be great to swing one hand on the soap holder other on the shower rail whilst I "pumped" from the floor.

Anyhow, the soap holder broke off and as she fell it cut a huge hole in her arm that required about 15 stitches. Worst thing was it happened in her parents house whilst they were away. Not easy to explain :rolleyes:

IMG_0156.JPG

Aluminium checkplate

TP :beer:

PS: Steve Lacy. Never stand or swing on anything in the bathroom. In my younger days my partner amd me at the time thought it would be great to swing one hand on the soap holder other on the shower rail whilst I "pumped" from the floor.

Well, I'll give you one thing Darren, it sure does sound like fun .. and I'm sure it was for a while... soory abou the nasty outcome for your partner. I guess you can say that her relationship with you left her scarred for life ...

fridge_shelf.jpg

Fridge shelf built out of Qubelock from Capral Aluminium, which is now available at Bunnies. The shelf insert is just a piece of MDF painted with a lacquer for the waterproofing benefits.

Sam

View attachment 19663

Fridge shelf built out of Qubelock from Capral Aluminium, which is now available at Bunnies. The shelf insert is just a piece of MDF painted with a lacquer for the waterproofing benefits.

Sam

whats the back part of the shelf sitting/resting on?

I mean whats stopping the front legs of the shelf from slipping towards you and out of the fridge?

View attachment 19663

Sam

Hey Sammy,

Just curious where the lines on the upside down taps go?

cheers

Darren

I mean whats stopping the front legs of the shelf from slipping towards you and out of the fridge?

I think it might be sitting on the compressor hump Steve.

I have been \"gunna\" do this to both my fermenting fridge and keg fridge for years now but they are still holding.

After reading this it may be a good weekend project.

I have a lid though :lol:

My 60 liter firmenter, usually holding 54 liters sits on 2 upturned, cracked brittle old crisper trays with a bit of loose perspex sitting on top of them

I really should fix it, its been like it for years!

And the 50 liter keg sits on the glass shelf in the fridge :lol: but its soon to be replaced with a 2 tap kegorator/freezer with flooded font. so it will live. Nothing will get out of the keg if it falls out anyway!

Unless the beer line rips off the fitting :eek: mmmmmmm messy!

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it off to bunnings i go :)

cheers

So....LC, your risk assessment skills are such that you can identify people about to kill themselves with dodgy wiring, and spot galvanic corrosion in photos of kettles, but you looked at a fermenter covered in glad wrap sitting on a glass shelf without setting your calamity detector aquivering? Mate, focus your attention closer to home!

Cheers, GL, the guy who does risk assessments all day, but lives on the edge brewing at weekends

what size is that fridge there TP? looks perfect enough to fit a 60 litre fermenter in there which is what im chasing. (a fridge that size, not the fermenter.)

It's an old Gorenje Pacific with no freezer & with no cubic litre size shown on door. Have had it for a long time & can't recall the size (Perhaps 280 litre?).

Internal --- 1220mm from top to bottom x 540mm wide x 350mm deep with the door shelves out.

Hope this helps Fents?

TP :beer:

So....LC, your risk assessment skills are such that you can identify people about to kill themselves with dodgy wiring, and spot galvanic corrosion in photos of kettles, but you looked at a fermenter covered in glad wrap sitting on a glass shelf without setting your calamity detector aquivering? Mate, focus your attention closer to home!

:lol:

:icon_cheers:

Good post GL.

View attachment 19663

Sam
I was at Bunnings purchasing my MDF replacement shelves for my fridge and some random dude said to me "Is that for a fridge? That's not right and it's not gonna last long, grab some plywood". Still using the plain MDF in my frost free fridge without an issue.

Cheers, GL, the guy who does risk assessments all day, but lives on the edge brewing at weekends

:unsure:

:lol:

Sorry LC, I realise that you are passionate about your electrical safety, but that's gold!

Yes, lovely, thanks GL. I'll enjoy the schadenfreude next time you have an unfortunate mishap, if you've got the good grace to share it with us. Not that I'm actually wishing such a mishap on you though - I don't have any desire to see anyone come to grief, and I really don't want anyone to come to harm, hence my vehemence on matters of electrical safety. As a risk analyst I reckon you'd probably place the safety of the brewer a long way North of the safety of the brew. I also reckon there's quite a chasm between failing to recognise or underestimating a risk and roundly ignoring a clearly identified one because you're too lazy to do the job right, or "like to live on the edge of death" or whatever damn fool justifications he gave. Easy electrocution scores somewhat higher than potential spillage (even once the secondary risks of slipping in the beer etc are accounted for). If nothing else, my little misadventure here serves to demonstrate that there are enough dangers from things you haven't foreseen or can't do anything about without ignoring the risks you have foreseen and can fix.
I think I've covered my thinking on the tempered glass shelf. Alas, I'm an electrical and computer systems engineer, not a structural/mechanical/civil one. I thought the shelf was stronger than wire ones, and since it hadn't even shown signs of flexing or stress before now, it would continue to provide good service into its twilight years. I was wrong. There you go lads, free kick.
There's other threads for discussing the merits of clingwrap. Feel free to comment there, though I believe a lot of other brewers are very happy with it, and this brew was delicious before I decided to resurface the storage room floor with it. And galvanic corrosion is a QC issue, not much of an RA one, but you've got plenty of opportunity to take a poke at me in any of the threads discussing it.

There is a shorter set of legs at the back that go down to the compressor hump, and they are siliconed to the top of the hump.

Sam

Just curious where the lines on the upside down taps go?

Since I started boiling my taps to sterilise them, they've started leaking. The hoses on the taps capture the leak, as you can see inside each tube.

Sam

Latest posts

Back