Diluting Ferments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro

Reaction score
well lads I Just overshot my mash efficiency (maybe Im getting it rightat last :D ) was aiming for 1.052 got 1.058 I hopped heavier than normal after checking my pre boil s.g I was planning to dilute with about 5 litres of water when I rack to the secondary (cant fit anymore in now or Ill lose it) The beer is meant to be a dunkel. is dilution the best option or should I leave it and see how it goes
Cheers Jethro :blink:

My vote is to leave it alone, it is not so far over the mark to get out of style.

dreamboat

NEVER OK Jovial sounds like thats serious advice. If it ferments out I recon it must be about 6% thats new turf for me. Oh well Ill see how it goes. As far as the style goes, Dreamboat the recipe says up to 1.055 so I guess your right there Cheers lads Jethro

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one B)

I just made a Hefeweizen and overshot my efficiency by a long way and also boiled off too much. As I was aiming for a mid-strength, I ended up with quite a strong wort (1.057 - was supposed to be 1.041) I diluted the 15L batch with another 3L of water after fermenting. Has anyone tried this and were there any problems?

edit: I wonder what the jovial monk did to get himself banned?!

I dilute all the time.
I end up with 34 litres of wort to fill two cubes (no chill) at a concentrated gravity, then dilute when I'm ready to ferment. Works a charm. Usually I'm diluting 17.5 litres with 3 litres of filtered water.

Beers,
Doc

My tip is don't dilute until you keg/bottle.

I like to ferment the higher grav wort as my theory is that it protects the brew from infection.

I have been doing this for more than a year now...no infections!

OK, not definitive proof, but it works for me.

(I use tank water anyway, so (unboiled) it ain't goin' anywhere near my wort!)

A lot of commercial brews are diluted/blended/bittered/coloured post fermentation. There is 1 cardinal rule:-

Use sterile de-aired water

O2 post fermentation is a big bad, as are microbes.

MHB

I like to ferment the higher grav wort as my theory is that it protects the brew from infection.
I have been doing this for more than a year now...no infections!

Geoffi that was my thinking as well.

Back