Unexpectedly long cold crash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliverWM

Reaction score
Hello. Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes:

Context:
I brewed an APA about a month ago. Left in primary for 3 weeks in order to let the yeast clean itself up, which is a fairly normal timeframe for me. I don't secondary, and I don't think I've ever had any off flavours due to beer sitting on the yeast cake for too long.

Dry hopped after 3 weeks at 3g/L, looking for a fairly punchy aroma from the US hops I used. After 3 days, I dropped to 1c for a week long cold crash, intending to bottle over the weekend.

However, I've been crook and couldn't bring myself to bottle, so I'll just have to cold crash for another week!

--

Questions:
This beer was meant to be kinda similar to a NEIPA, hence the inclusion of the naked oats. Will CCing for 2 weeks diminish the cloudiness or mouthfeel imparted by the oats? Would I be better off bringing back up to ~18c for a bit then CCing again for a day or two before bottling?

I'm unsure about how my dry hop will be affected by the long CC. I've heard that dry hopping during CC still imparts aroma, and can even be better for high AA hops such as Galaxy, to avoid grassiness etc. However, I'm concerned I'll lose some freshness, and that the long CC might strip out some of the hoppy goodness. Should I just chuck some more hops in now?

--

Recipe
23L - BIAB single infusion @66.6c

OG: 1.052
Calculated IBU: 50

3gm calcium chloride (mash)
6gm gypsum (mash)

Maris Otter - 66%
Wheat Malt - 19%
Naked Oats - 8%
Crystal 40 - 7%

Magnum - 14%AA - FWH - 10g
El Dorado -14.4%AA - Cube - 28g
Crosby experimental hop #7 - 14.3%AA - Cube - 28g
Crosby experimental hop #6 - 10.3%AA - Cube - 45g

1pkg US-05 @ 17c

Dry hop 1g/L each of El Dorado, Crosby experimental hop #7, and Crosby experimental hop #6

--

I know at the end of the day the long CC won't ruin the beer, but I'd love to get any advice/opinions. Cheers!

I would proceed as normal.
should be nice, clear and clean.

Take a sample and let warm to room temp, then see if it needs more dry hop for taste preference but other than that, you will have done more good than harm.

Thanks mate. In retrospect I probably didn't need to post my life story :p

I was hoping for a fair bit of haze in this beer, so I'll proceed as normal and brew something similar with a shorter cold crash soon.

Latest posts

Back