Digital Thermostats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love seeing pics, whats that blue thing in you're fridge ada & do youput youre probe against the side of your'e fermenter.

The blue thing is a heat pad.

As for the temp probe, I have a stainless one now not as per photo, I have used it both in the wort and against the fermenter, I honestly believe it is best off against the fermenter not in the wort (here we go again)

Probe against the fermenter, the fridge air temp swings about +- 1.5 degree, wort temp swings hardly measurable

Probe in the wort, fridge air temp swings about +- 8 degree, wort temp swings about +- 1.5 degree

Obviously the settings in my controller will change my readings but they are the best I could manage and yes I have good measuring gear.
I fully agree with the argument that fermenting wort will create some heat and it will be slightly higher than fridge air temp so controlling the wort is more accurate however I dont think the cyclic nature of on/off control is much good for your wort either.

hi all,

i bought a stc 1000 and having heaps of trouble....

i did what the instructions said and the dam thing will start for 1 second then off again.... i want it wired straight into the freezer on the side and have done it once before with a different model... the problem i think is that this freezer has a capacitor.

anyone who can help or show me a wire diagram that would be awesome.

cheers sean

hi all,

i bought a stc 1000 and having heaps of trouble....

i did what the instructions said and the dam thing will start for 1 second then off again.... i want it wired straight into the freezer on the side and have done it once before with a different model... the problem i think is that this freezer has a capacitor.

anyone who can help or show me a wire diagram that would be awesome.

cheers sean

Try here... http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...45747&st=20
There are a few other threads with wiring diagrams in them too I believe.

Got my STC1000 from eBay and instructions were in Chinese so very happy for all these posts and instructions. Thanks to Wolfy - your diagrams worked a treat. After a quick trip to Bunnings - outlaying an extra $12 (2 extension cords, plastic clip lunch box, cable ties and joiner)
My daughter asked if I was building a bomb!!! LOL
Wired up and running great. I don't have a heating appliance but have wired it up anyway.
Heard of some people using a lamp and others a heating pad. Any suggestions?

Got my STC1000 from eBay and instructions were in Chinese so very happy for all these posts and instructions. Thanks to Wolfy - your diagrams worked a treat. After a quick trip to Bunnings - outlaying an extra $12 (2 extension cords, plastic clip lunch box, cable ties and joiner)
My daughter asked if I was building a bomb!!! LOL
Wired up and running great. I don't have a heating appliance but have wired it up anyway.
Heard of some people using a lamp and others a heating pad. Any suggestions?
I use a standard (although harder to buy now days) incandescent globe.
Only need low wattage = 40W or even 20W may be enough depending on how effective your insulation is.

Others put the globe under an earthernware pot inside the fridge, to reduce any possible light effects on the brew, and to provide a more even heat output.

Others put the globe under an earthernware pot inside the fridge, to reduce any possible light effects on the brew, and to provide a more even heat output.
Was wondering about that - and also condensation. Earthenware pots....I thought of possibly using red cellophane..lol
Are the heat pads just no good, I thought they would be perfect - water proof heat from bottom or wrap around and also dont take much space.
I don't want to heat the fridge just the brew.

Cheers

Trying not to drag this too far :icon_offtopic: however I use a heat pad in one of my fridges, and a heat belt in my other ferment fridge.

Both work fine with varying temp levels and varying moisture levels (my older fridge condenses all moisture in the air resulting in puddles in the bottom of the fridge!)

As previously mentioned, an incandescent globe, somewhere around 40-60W will work just fine, with no ill effects of light strike. All of my ales last year were warmed up this way over winter to ferment temp in a fridge of course...

As previously mentioned, an incandescent globe, somewhere around 40-60W will work just fine, with no ill effects of light strike. All of my ales last year were warmed up this way over winter to ferment temp in a fridge of course...

Why a bulb over a heating belt? Cost?

Sweet! My heating belt came with the package and I have yet to break it out.

Ebay it, and buy a globe and batten holder (or rip one down from your living room ceiling :ph34r: )

Yes, it is well known, I am a tightarse

So many temperature controller threads, so I guess this one is as good as any...

Has anyone used a different temperature sensor on their STC1000?
I see it has an NTC type sensor as standard and has 2 wires running to the unit. Does this mean I can attach any sort of sensor/thermistor/thermocouple as long as it has 2 wires?

I scored a bloody cheap K type thermocouple with 2 wires which I would like to install in my BIAB pot, but I would like to get some more info before I start punching holes in stuff.

Apologies if this info is already in one of these threads, a search didn't seem to bring this topic up.

Ebay it, and buy a globe and batten holder (or rip one down from your living room ceiling :ph34r: )

Yes, it is well known, I am a tightarse

even cheaper, live in qld and then you don't need to heat it; saves a light globe :icon_cheers:

So many temperature controller threads, so I guess this one is as good as any...

Has anyone used a different temperature sensor on their STC1000?
I see it has an NTC type sensor as standard and has 2 wires running to the unit. Does this mean I can attach any sort of sensor/thermistor/thermocouple as long as it has 2 wires?

I scored a bloody cheap K type thermocouple with 2 wires which I would like to install in my BIAB pot, but I would like to get some more info before I start punching holes in stuff.

Apologies if this info is already in one of these threads, a search didn't seem to bring this topic up.

Anyone have any info on this?

Pimp, my initial thought is why bother when the thermostat unit you get from evilbay or similar comes with a probe.

You could easily plug the other probe in to see if it reads the same temperatures - assuming a different probe will not damage the unit.

FWIW, these are still going cheap. I bought a couple. They are indeed the STC1000's. I have to get another for Hatchy! Good little unit

The reason I am wanting to use a different probe is that the one with the unit is a plastic/rubber tip type thing and I am dubious about dangling it in the pot. Also, I could drill a hole in the pot for a thermowell, but I am a tight ******* and want to do this as cheaply as possible. I paid something like $5 for the new K type sensor and it can be mounted in the wall of the pot weldlessly, so I was hoping it would work. If not, I can always drill the hole out to take a proper thermowell and just use the original sensor.

Lucky for me I like mucking about with this sort of thing, so it could provide a few hours of entertainment :)

Latest posts

Back