Digital Thermostats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the discussion is around using these devices for cooling control, or occsional heating at fermentation temperatures. How well would this work as a mash day addition, with the temp controller switching on/off an electric kettle element at 65 degrees. I am looking at one on ebay now that is operates up to 99 degrees. How would the lead and the probe stand up to higher temperatures fully immersed? Is the device OK for switching on & off regularly within a 0.5 degree range several times through a one to two hour period?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Digital-Temper...=item4151ae21ac

I use two in my brew system.
One is a thermostat which i use in my HLT
Second is a thermometer which I use in my mash tun.

The thermpmeter probe in the mash tun (kettle) is place inside my pickup pipe. I turn my pick up pipe so it is facing up and place the probe down the tube. This way when I stir the mash it does not get tangled.

I have had them for years and no problems with em.

Thanks Wolfy that was a concern I had too, the long term performance of plastic probe and cable. Apart from that, is the electronic device accurate under hot liquid conditions?

Banshee - with your HLT setup do you use an after market SS probe and temp-rated insulated cable, or have you found the standard probe to be fine after repeated use? Just looking at the SS probe on Craftbrewer, but not sure if this is compatible with the cheap ebay controllers. I would be looking at only one unit that can be moved from mash day to fermentation fridge when I get one. So a probe wont be hard installed in the kettle but just dangle in there.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=955

Banshee - with your HLT setup do you use an after market SS probe and temp-rated insulated cable, or have you found the standard probe to be fine after repeated use? Just looking at the SS probe on Craftbrewer, but not sure if this is compatible with the cheap ebay controllers. I would be looking at only one unit that can be moved from mash day to fermentation fridge when I get one. So a probe wont be hard installed in the kettle but just dangle in there.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=955

I use the probe that came with it. The one with the little rubber tip.
I have compared the temp with various thermometers and it is very accurate.
I use mine on my fermaentaion fridge as a guide as I use a liquid filled analogue thermostat in my fridges.

I use one for my HLT, with the probe inside a beerbelly thermowell. Works a treat.

Thanks, think I will grab myself one. Before I do, can someone explain to me what a PID controller is, and how does it differ from the the temperature controllers being discussed on this thread?

PID stands for Proportional, Integral and Differential. An on/off controller like most of those discussed here is very simple - when the measured temp is below the setpoint, its output is on, when it's above the setpoint, it's off (or vice-versa for one controlling a cooler rather than a heater). A PID controller has a variable output, dependant on the difference between the measured temp and the setpoint (the error). Its output is the sum of three values: P - proportional to the current error , I - proportional to the integral of the error (the sum of all previous errors - allows it to approach the correct value over time) and D - proportional to the derivative of the error, (used to overcome fast changes in error). More information here

I would love to have one to control my HLT but I run a 3600w element 15A. I am not confident enough yet to work out how to set up a relay to switch from this unit.
P.s My one has just arrived and I am currently wiring it to run a second fermentation/conditioning fridge.

I would love to have one to control my HLT but I run a 3600w element 15A. I am not confident enough yet to work out how to set up a relay to switch from this unit.
P.s My one has just arrived and I am currently wiring it to run a second fermentation/conditioning fridge.
If you're not confident enough to hook it up to a relay, why the hell do you think you're fine to wire it up to run a fridge?

I have just rewired my house and garage with the help of a sparky mate. All of my circuits are RCD protected including 32A 415V in my garage. General wiring is easy and help is just a phone call away. If I let the smoke out of a 20 year old fridge that's a great excuse to upgrade my fridge knowing that my house won't burn down.

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know what the specs are for the NTC probe that comes with the STC1000 mini temp controllers off ebay?

I am looking at making myself a new probe for my temp controller but don't know what NTC thermistor to buy :(

Any help would be great.

cheers

sorry to bump this thread, but raven's case looks damn good. raven where did you get your case/supporting parts from?

sorry to bump this thread, but raven's case looks damn good. raven where did you get your case/supporting parts from?

Looks like the one I used, its about $6 from Jaycar.

As Silo Ted said it's from Jaycar... if I remember tonight I'll post the complete jaycar part list if you're interested (just brought all the parts to wire up another one this weekend).

As promised, this is the list of part numbers from Jaycar I used to wire up my stc-1000:

1 x HB6012 Black Enclosure (197x113x63mm), $6.95 Ea
2 x PS4094 SKT PNL Mains Aus White, $7.95 Ea
1 x HM3204 Terminal block, $4.95 Ea
1 x PP4009 Plg Pnl IEC320 Snap In, $4.95

Note that the terminal block I brought is a 12way 60A, so you could go smaller if they have stock (which they didn't at my local) and I already had the wire and power cord to hook it all up.

Yep Jaycar was where I went to get all my goodies for the build.

Just finished wiring and mounting my STC1000. Tested and it works a beaut.
Wanted to say thanks for all the handy contributions in this thread. (I was fine working off the supplied wiring diagram, but it doesn't hurt to have a peek at what others are doing.

Now to find an appropriate fridge...

Done a few brews with my stc 1000 now, bloody fantastic

183.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

View attachment fridge_controller.pdf

Love seeing pics, whats that blue thing in you're fridge ada & do youput youre probe against the side of your'e fermenter.

Here's a few pics of my fridge mate nothing flash but it gets the job done

IMG_2956_1_1.JPG

IMG_2957_2_1.JPG

Back