• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Digital Probe Thermometer - Laboratory Quality - +/- 1 Degree

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i reckon you cant go past one of mashmasters bimetal probes. they are a great bit of kit.

Why?

This ones digital and laboratory quality I am pretty sure its easily the equal of the mashmaster and its about $15-16 cheaper!

And its between -50 and a 120degrees.

If it has a variable of +/-1C, won't that be problem with your mashing?

it is a really good design. it has a large face and is rugged. it wont break if it gets dropped into the liquid, no batteries to worry about. i just think it would easily outlast what you have.
that said what you have should be fine for you.

I cant imagine any thermometer would be able to guarantee a 100% accuracy these days to be honest with you, sort of like a condom scuse the pun they are 99.9% accurate.

The electronic batteries they use these days last a good 10 years easy so mwah!

But each to their own thats the beauty of homebrewing.

Lab Quality? If it's +/- 1 degree, the only lab it's fit for is the illegal kind.

it is a really good design. it has a large face and is rugged. it wont break if it gets dropped into the liquid, no batteries to worry about. i just think it would easily outlast what you have.
that said what you have should be fine for you.

Plus the mashmaster can be calibrated over and over again if required, the digital one can't.
I have both styles, the mashmaster style are permanently fixed to my mash tun and HLT and my electronic one I use for on the spot temp readings, both have their uses.

Cheers
Andrew

Guy's
I have something similar and they are not waterproof or more to the point steam proof.
I insert it into a plastic bag and poke the probe out a hole.
Mostly it gets used for checking the temp out of the CFC.

I have a mashmaster dial on the must tun.

Still a handy bit of equip for the price

:super:
Luke

They say its waterproof on their and suitable for cooking or liquid purposes as such it would be water/steam proof.

Why on earth would you need to calibrate a thermometer they arent scales guys.

Okay.... Never knew that, and being a mad cooker never had too!

But whats your oppinion on it being steam proof or waterproof.

As I don't have the same thermometer I can't comment on whether its water/steam proof.

I'm sure you'll find that one out soon enough

Yeah you's have turned me from excitement to parania!

I am sure its fine.

I have the same electronic theremometer Drew. I've only used it for 2 brewdays so far but have used it to check the temp of a steaming HLT a few times and it is still kicking so far.

Having said that I will get around to installing my 2 bi-metal theromo's sitting in the shed one day.

Jez

Cheers Jez.

No ill effects? As in distortion to digital display ect?

Thanks.

Nope, no distortion. The screen got a bit of moisture on it from the steam but just wipe it off. Dunno about long-term usage probs but it will do the job for now.

Mine also has a built-in countdown timer so you can use it to time your mash & boil times.

Jez

i ended up ordering these hummers from extech for a few of the AHB crew, they should be arriving any day. Trev rated them highly, so maybe you can check them out later DC, if yours decides it doesnt like the steam. :eek:
heaps of info on others aswell in that thread.

Latest posts

Back