Digital beer line flow meter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambrew247

Reaction score
Hello home brewers,

I have hunted high and low for a relatively cheap digital flow meter that can display how much beer has been dispensed from the kegs.
I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.

They don't really exist from what I've seen
They are either not food grade, or will distrupt flow too much and lead to excessive foaming
Weighing the keg is a far better idea

Actually they are quite the coming thing, especially linked to POS systems. Enables bar managers to monitor the wastage of each bar staffer (big brother?). Good training can make a difference to the profits in a bar and waste is a big issue.

Some of the new units use Hall Effect sensors so no disturbance to beer (no foaming). Some of the sensors are becoming pretty inexpensive and if you are adept at electronics something like this one might be adapted
http://www.8lots.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=460&c=AUD&l=en
Interesting for $20. Have a careful read of the description... its fair to say that most of the dedicated "Beer" systems are probably out of the price range for home brewers

Something like this could be really useful
Flow Counter 3/8JG – Internal LCD
upload_2018-11-26_5-56-2.png

Ahhh, last time I looked (6 months or so ago) everyone was still saying it wasn't there yet

There's a bar in Townsville that has a flow metered setup with 8 or so taps. Prepay for a card at the bar, tap it one of the taps and pour what you want, charges by the ml from memory. Kind of gimmicky but wasn't bad to try a small bit of a few beers.

Back