Different Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BungalowBill

Reaction score
Hi, I put down 3 brews last weekend, admittedly only kits as I dont have the space to go ag, anyhow here thay are.
Batch 1: Coopers IPA, 1kg Gemdex Booster, Kit yeast, SG 1040 yeast pitched @27C

Batch 2: Black Rock Apple Cider, 1 kg dextrose, kit yeast, SG 1038, Yeast pitched @ 25C

Batch 3: Black Rock Pilsner Blonde,1kg #15 Breblend, Saf ale S04, Pride of Ringwood in a Tea bag, Yeast pitched @ 12C, SG 1044

my fermenting cupboard has 2 globes hooked up to a fridgemate with a pc fan to circulate the air and is set at 19C at the moment and fluctuates between 19 and 21.

The question is, in batches 1 and 2 the krausen overflowed the airlock a few time till it died down a bit and i was able to put some water back in and are bubbling away slowly at the moment, whilst in batch 3 there is no krausen on top but small bubble coming to the top, there is no bubbles in the air lock as my rubber seal had snapped and was too short, so i improvised with a piece of gas tubing and screw to make do till I get to the LHBS.It might not be air tight but it will have to do but the water in the airlock goes up and down when I press the side of the carboy.
Is this normal for Saf ale S04 to not bubble so much or is it becaused it was piched @ 12 degrees.
Thanks fellas

Probably slow to take off because of the low pitching temp. In the past I have had airlocks respond when pushing on the fermenter but they never seemed to bubble, probably a slow leak or something when the pressure builds up slowly. Airlocks are only good for keeping bugs out anyway and are a very poor indicator of how fermentation is going. For 1 fermenter I use cling film and the o-ring from the lid so I can actually see in at what is happening. My other fermenter has a clear lide so I just look through that, airlock to keep bugs out :p

Probably slow to take off because of the low pitching temp. In the past I have had airlocks respond when pushing on the fermenter but they never seemed to bubble, probably a slow leak or something when the pressure builds up slowly. Airlocks are only good for keeping bugs out anyway and are a very poor indicator of how fermentation is going. For 1 fermenter I use cling film and the o-ring from the lid so I can actually see in at what is happening. My other fermenter has a clear lide so I just look through that, airlock to keep bugs out :p
thanks for reply, just a thought , with the slow batch , should'nt it speed up with the current temp or should I throw in another yeast starter?

thanks for reply, just a thought , with the slow batch , should'nt it speed up with the current temp or should I throw in another yeast starter?

BB,

Wait until it reaches proper temps, then check what the yeast is doing. It should get going as it warms up.

cheers
BB

On a side note no-one should apologise for making kit beer.

It's your beer and simply being kit doesn't make it bad. Simply being grain based doesn't make it good. As long as you're learning your processes, striving to make the best beer you can and enjoying the process and results then it doesn't matter what your method.

Latest posts

Back