Diacetyl Is There Any Cure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
:angry:

In my haste to keg a lager that had been cold conditioning in the fridge for three weeks I did'nt take it out and warm it up and give it a diacetyl rest as I have previously.
The lager was brewed with a reharvested yeast.
:eek: After carbonation and a taste test it has a very strong diacetyl taste (butterscoth like)
Is there any cure or should I just tell myself I have a sore throat and liquid Butter Menthols are good for it

Heres hoping :rolleyes:

JWB

Take keg out of fridge, warm up and degas, add some slurry from another batch, leave warm for a few days.

aye, GL is right, only time and a bit of yeast can clear up diacetyl. fingers crossed you get it down to a palatable level. can be pretty gross when over done in a light boddied beer.

-Phill

You could also try blending with a darker malty beer. That way the dark malty flavours will mask it to some degree

I have not tried it but I read that by adding yeast you will not start the fermentation again unless you add some fermentables. If there is nothing for the yeast to consume than they will just stay dormant. I think the best way would be to make a small starter and pitch it into your beer while its active. Make sure the starter has some disolved O2 for the yeast because there will not be any in the beer.

Kabooby :)

Yeah I imagine pitching new yeast wouldnt work, but using a slurry from another brew does without the need to add fermentables or oxygen.

agreed

i like the thought of blending too

man i wish i had a keg system

-Phill

i've gotten diacetyl in my beers a few times rushing beers out for a party etc, it can be nasty and get in the way of all those lovely flavours but sometimes it is ok and just adds a touch of sweetness some of my friends quite like.

gl has suggested the same thing to me in the past, pulling the keg out, giving it a shake and letting it warm up for a few days has worked.

i wonder if re-introducing some fermentables to a warm keg would work?

Rob.

Latest posts

Back