Deus Brut Flanders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
ok after reading about this beer and seeing its price which i cant afford i was wondering if anyone has a recipe or can hint at what a recipe would be like for Deus Brut Flanders

looks very interesting and tasty

I had some of this a week and a bit ago at the Wheatsheaf... all I can say is good luck replicating it at home. It tastes like belgian beer champagne!

It's quite light in colour and probably starts around 1.080 and finishes close to 1.000, maybe even lower. I'm guessing you'll need champagne yeast to achieve the right dryness but I'm not sure what belgian yeast to use for the bulk of it. To get the right carbonation you'll probably need champers bottles.

Cheers

It's a great beer but yes at $50-$60 a bottle not really one you have often.

I've never tried to make one but the Maltose Falcons did and its quite a good read. Here is the link.

Good luck.

sounds like a very challenging beer to brew
i think i might not try clone it but replicate something in its tyle
a very dry highly carbed blegian

Straight from BYO

5kg Malterie Franco-Belge pale ale
.5kg Weyerman Acidulated
2.27kg dextrose
2.25 AAU tettnanger hops
15g whole kernel coriander
10.5 g bentonite

yeast
Wyeast 1388, 3021 and 3347

Multiple, multiple step mash

OG - 1.102
FG - 1.012 - 1.014
IBU - 8
SRM 5-6
ABV 11.3 - 11.6

Rook

Asher ...page 49 of BYO 150 clasic clone recipes

It looks like its some sort of finining you have to add it at different stages of fermentation.

e.g ferment at 21c and then fine with bentonite.

Rook

Bento is a very common wine fining for heat stability. In this case added during ferment of sparkling wine for protein stabilisation, better to leave some unstability in there for mouth feel.

It isn't normally added as riddling agent as there are far better options like inoclair

There is a fine line between adding too much and overfining and destroying your mouth feel. Always err on the underfining side.

If you aren't going to let your beer get hot or warm to the point it becomes unstable then don't worry about the bento.

Maybe add a touch in the bottle to help the yeast form a clump.

Try and source some, Bidules as well

I have purchased a couple of bottles of Deuz for tasting and will be having a crack at copying it with a few improvements to the above recipe.

I have access to some of the best sparkling winemakers going and the equipment and additives to boot.

OF course I am happy to share these resources.

Try and source some, Bidules as well
Are they the little cup thingies you put in before the tirage cap? I saw some condomy like things in an american winemaking book that you used in place of a bidule and cap, so once you have riddled the bottle you just fold the condom bit over and the yeast stays trapped but finding a source has come up zilch. I will scan a pic to illustrate what I am talking about as a Deus like beer has been on my things to do list for a while now.

Yes bidule is the little cage type thing.

I'll try and get extra so I can share.

I wonder if a yeast franger would be on tight enough to hold the pressure

i was wondering is it really necessay to remove all the yeast? does this give a distinctive flavour profile to the beer or just makes it clear?

i was wondering is it really necessay to remove all the yeast? does this give a distinctive flavour profile to the beer or just makes it clear?

yes. the yeast will give the beer a flavour and mouth feel. try decanting a CPA and tasting it then try mixing through the yeast and tasting it, or try doing it with one of your own.

Full article on this beer BYO May-June 2004 pg 32-35. Talks about working out the recipe, fermentation process and aging/bottling as per champagne.

Regards

Andrew

Can anyone tlel me if Deus Brut flanders tastes like beer or tastes like champagn?

Im interesting in buying some if it has a beer taste...

Can anyone tlel me if Deus Brut flanders tastes like beer or tastes like champagn?

Im interesting in buying some if it has a beer taste...
Both.
It has a belgian strong ale taste up front. Some funkiness, spiciness and other things competing for attention on your tastebuds and your nose.
It finishes like a champagne.
The interplay between the flavour and finish is part of what makes this such a complex and interesting beer.
I saw a review that described it as a cross between Duvel and Dom Perigon and while it isn't a match of either that is a good description of what you can expect.
I also think the underlying beer is sufficiently good quality that an un-champagned, as it where, version would be a top notch drop...
The bottles I tried were 2006 vintage.

Back