Deputy Prime Minister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Non partisan question here.

Whenever the Lib / Nat coalition is in power federally, it is a 'given' that the Prime Minister is Liberal, and the Deputy Prime Minister role is always given to the leader of the National Party.

However in Queensland there is no longer a Liberal or a National party, they have merged to become the LNP (Liberal National Party) at both State and Federal levels. For example here in Longman, which covers Bribie Island, the candidate for the forthcoming Federal Election is branded LNP.
So if the Coalition are elected, and Tony Abbott for the Libs becomes Prime Minister, then does this mean that there cannot be a Deputy Prime Minister sourced from Queensland members as there will be no National Party member in Queensland, only the LNP (if elected) members?

I see potentially entertaining bunfight.
:icon_cheers:

My best guess is that the leaders will be voted on by the party - much like people calling foul on Gillard becoming PM as everyone voted for KRudd.

But in saying that, in a coalition I dare say part of the agreement for the party to join forces would include an 'understanding' that both parties are represented with a PM and Vice PM respectively.

But I have no real knowledge of politics, so the above may be total BS. A bit like our pollies really. B)

Given that the LNP seems to be a queensland organisation, I'm wondering if federal LNP candidates are actually liberal or national and just campaigning under the LNP banner just so as not to confuse us stupid voters. They seem to be on national and liberal websites. With the amount of anti-labour sentiment in Qld and given that LNP is the state alternative, it makes sense to hitch the federal wagon to it, so to speak.

Latest posts

Back