Dealing with flies....the only bad bit about summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
So how do you deal with flies

Do you

A. Take the Dicko approach and bombard the hell out of your house using licensed chemical applicators

B. Reduce the reason for flies being there in the first place

C. Live with the bastards

D. Set traps and stuff to reduce them

E. other methods

Give the Aussie salute on a non-stop basis.

Drop your pants, launch a big brown torpedo at the enemy then don't wipe or put your pants back on. I wont keep the flies away but should help keep them away from your eyes, nostrils, ears, and mouth a bit better.

Where do you live DS I'm sure you were seeking advice for being invaded by cockroaches last week?

The best serious advice I can give is fly screens and retreat indoors. I went outside to weed my little garden bed at work last week and the little bastards drove me back in the office after 10 mins.

Actually. I dont have a problem with roaches or flies ( which will no doubt disappoint many on here)

Its seems that everyone else has decided that i have an issue with them

Bit like overpaid train drivers.... B)

I've been workin at fern bay on the sand and the flies are horrendous. They hang around Ya like Your a walking turd.
I've had my fly net on and a bushmans and aeroguard combo. Needs reapplying every 3 hours. Havnt swallowed a fly yet. There docile buggers to. Can regulary catch 3 in one swipe.

Ducatiboy stu said:

Do you

A. Take the Dicko approach and bombard the hell out of your house using licensed chemical applicators

E. other methods
Most people would not have any trouble Stu if you kept your fly Done Up.

Ducatiboy stu said:

Do you

E. other methods
E. have a mate in the Air Force,can ask him for an air strike,but my place first the as the little mongrels are starting to annoy me.

Cant believe anybody had to ask.
What are youse cnuts? Fuggen unaustralian or sumfin?

d97696d7-3bdc-4ddf-b632-fcd4cdedc6ef.jpg

Dad's one who can't stand the thought of even a single fly being around, and normally takes approach #1. Through out summer he pretty much has a can of fky spray in his hand 24/7.

This year, when he saw the first fly, he decided to go and get some traps and put them up the back of the back yard. What started as 1 fly, then turned into almost swarms of the things heading into the traps.

He'shappy though, because they were up the back, not near the house, and he takes pleasure knowing their fate.

If you have dogs or cats the very best thing you can do is pick up after them as much as possible. We've got two dogs and they seem to output more than they input. We get some of the little yellow poop bags the council puts up around the place and the garden yard gets patrolled at least twice a day usually four for clean up. We've got a big plastic plant pot sitting out of the way near the garbage bin that we drop the bags in until garbage day pickup. The little devils always watch me do a run and drop the payload into the pot then proceed to drop another load on the lawn right in front of me, they never do it as I'm picking up always after.

This really does make a huge difference to the flies around the place and keeps the yard clean and smell free (from dog poo odour) which is good for them and us. This method is so effective for keeping the fly population around the house under control that when a fly does occasionally get inside the house it drives me nuts until I get it.

Give one of these a shot. Obviously flys are more active in the daytime making the UV lights attractive propertys less effective, but I reckon you could rig some form of attractant placed in, on or nearby the unit to get em in.
The stuff they sell with those impulse buy jar type fly traps Bummings works a treat. Trouble with those traps id actually how well they work. If you get a bit slack emptying them, you end up with a mass of dead flies and writhing maggots in a gross nauseating soup.

Modern units are quite stylish. no need to make your house look like a butcher shop from the 70s.

e919b85d-c8e9-4ef4-9101-808461563d04.jpg

All you need to kill flies effortlessly and without mess is panes of glass spread around the place,glass kills flies, ever noticed how when you see a dead fly it is almost always on a window sill, that is the power of glass.

Latest posts

Back