Dealing With An Estery Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRusty

Reaction score
Just opened a beer i bottled about three weeks ago. I knew the 26C was risky. It's very very fruity. Drinkable but almost like punch with a sour finish. Anything i can do to settle it? Will time in the bottle or long lagering or anything help? or any other trick?

Also doesn't have a head but i figure time in the bottle might help that a bit (I hope)

Thanks!

DR

Nothing you can do with it except drink it quickly and make another brew and watch your temps . For an ale keep it below 20* C and lagers below 12* C .

Cheers
Beerbelly

Just opened a beer i bottled about three weeks ago. I knew the 26C was risky. It's very very fruity. Drinkable but almost like punch with a sour finish. Anything i can do to settle it? Will time in the bottle or long lagering or anything help? or any other trick?

Also doesn't have a head but i figure time in the bottle might help that a bit (I hope)

Thanks!

DR
it's worth lagering it and seeing how it turns out.some esters decrease with lagering and some can increase. If it's still too estery after a period,consider blending it with another beer when you pour it . :beer:

Sounds like a good beer to drink when you have already had 4-6 others. By that time your taste buds are numb and you are only looking to prolong the buzz.

Definitely look into temp control of some sort or wait for a month or two for the hot weather to pass.

Try it again at 8 weeks in the bottle - if it's still shit get rid of it. In the meantime do at least one more batch and control your temps a bit more :lol: !!!

Haha thanks guys. Yeah i'll have to drink it, waste of money if i don't. But i'll give some more conditioning and lagering a shot. Have no temp control besides a consistent garage. Rule for next time: never brew in summer.

Thanks for the help.

DR

Haha thanks guys. Yeah i'll have to drink it, waste of money if i don't. But i'll give some more conditioning and lagering a shot. Have no temp control besides a consistent garage. Rule for next time: never brew in summer.

Thanks for the help.

DR
Or you could brew a Saison..29/30 degrees no problems :D

Latest posts

Back