Dead Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ads7

Reaction score
Hi

yesterday i oput down an esb pils with whitelabs bud yeast.I ordered it last thursday and I only received it yesterday so I'm thinking it sat in the heat somewhere because the yeast was very brown and not seperate like it usually looks. I have never used this yeast strain before so I am assuming it looks like the other wl yeasts you buy. As there is no activity so far, pitched at 27 currently at 19, should I assume the yeast was killed in hot temps? I sucked a little air thru the airlock and could not tyaste any co2. can I pitch more yeast or is this brew gone? I usually wouldn't worry too much but I spent extra on grains to add and would be dissapointed if I can't use it.

Any thoughts here?

Adam

You mean WLP802? Took a while to get going even with a starter, i hope you're not going to ferment it at 19C unless you like apple juice, lager yeasts don't taste very good above 15C.

The WLP802 yeast is quite dark, almost like chocolate milk when mixed up so you should be fine, just give it more time and have another homebrew.

You mean WLP802? Took a while to get going even with a starter, i hope you're not going to ferment it at 19C unless you like apple juice, lager yeasts don't taste very good above 15C.

The WLP802 yeast is quite dark, almost like chocolate milk when mixed up so you should be fine, just give it more time and have another homebrew.

Thanks

That's exactrly what it looks like. I've already lowered the temp so hopefully all is well

ads

Hi

yesterday i oput down an esb pils with whitelabs bud yeast.I ordered it last thursday and I only received it yesterday so I'm thinking it sat in the heat somewhere because the yeast was very brown and not seperate like it usually looks. I have never used this yeast strain before so I am assuming it looks like the other wl yeasts you buy. As there is no activity so far, pitched at 27 currently at 19, should I assume the yeast was killed in hot temps? I sucked a little air thru the airlock and could not tyaste any co2. can I pitch more yeast or is this brew gone? I usually wouldn't worry too much but I spent extra on grains to add and would be dissapointed if I can't use it.

Any thoughts here?

Adam

Though not recommended most yeasts will survive short-term temps up to about 40C without too many problems.
Personally I would have made a starter just to make sure but I'm with DJR. Give it a bit more time.

Hi

Any thoughts here?

Adam

Though not recommended most yeasts will survive short-term temps up to about 40C without too many problems.
Personally I would have made a starter just to make sure but I'm with DJR. Give it a bit more time.

? What do I look for?
By Starter do you mean some of the yeast with some of the wort? what happens?

Hey mate, read this:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Great primer on starters and rehydrating dry yeast. The whitelabs site has some instructions on making a starter as well. Basically you use some wort or dissolve some DME, boil it up to sterilise, cool it, pour it into a sterilised bottle or small fermenter, add your yeast and away you go. If you are doing a lager and are fermenting it at true lager temps (<12C) then you need to do this with at least a 2L size starter of 1040 wort. The yeast builds up cells ready for your fermentation in the larger volume.

For yeast cultivation, always liked Batz's explanation, here. If doing White Labs, just start from post #3. 10g DME to each 100ml water for the starter. Top stuff, Batz. :super:

For yeast cultivation, always liked Batz's explanation, here. If doing White Labs, just start from post #3. 10g DME to each 100ml water for the starter. Top stuff, Batz. :super:
Thanks for all the replies. So I didn't make a starter :( I know how for next time :) My brew will take longer now right? I'll keep measuring for fg in around 4 days from now. Any thoughts?

Just checked, still no air lock activity. Should I add the other yeast or wait? what are the implications?
Adam

G'day Adam,
I haven't used the Budvar strain from White Labs, but I've recently brewed a dortmunder and oktoberfest with the seasonal Wyeast 2000 Budvar strain and it took about 5 days for the starter to get going.
If they're similar strains, you'll also find that this yeast gets better with subsequent use - if you repitch a fresh batch of wort onto the yeast cake in the fermenter, you'll actually get a better ferment the second time you use it...Yeah, it sounded strange when I was first told, but the oktoberfest is a smoother better lager than the dortmunder, both of which were brewed at 10C and are currently lagering in kegs at 2C...
Cheers,
TL

G'day Adam,
I haven't used the Budvar strain from White Labs, but I've recently brewed a dortmunder and oktoberfest with the seasonal Wyeast 2000 Budvar strain and it took about 5 days for the starter to get going.
If they're similar strains, you'll also find that this yeast gets better with subsequent use - if you repitch a fresh batch of wort onto the yeast cake in the fermenter, you'll actually get a better ferment the second time you use it...Yeah, it sounded strange when I was first told, but the oktoberfest is a smoother better lager than the dortmunder, both of which were brewed at 10C and are currently lagering in kegs at 2C...
Cheers,
TL

So I should just wait? Sitting at 15 and below.

Thanks

dougal

hehehe

DJR it looked like choc milk when i got it is that still ok? So I guess lager yeasts are a bit like a woman patience patience patience then go for it.

hehehe

ads

Yep, if it were me, I'd give it till the end of the weekend at least before passing sentence on it.

Yep, if it were me, I'd give it till the end of the weekend at least before passing sentence on it.

Or in your case father Jack - administering the last rights.

Nuns!!!! Reverse Reverse

RM

NUNS!
Feck...the screen needed a stout wash anyhoo....

Thanks guys, started bubling slooowly on Friday night. Im fermenting at 12c. I read another post about pitching double yeast ( dried saflager). Will this be underfermented or do I just let it ferment longer?

Cheers

Ads

Thanks guys, started bubling slooowly on Friday night. Im fermenting at 12c. I read another post about pitching double yeast ( dried saflager). Will this be underfermented or do I just let it ferment longer?

Cheers

Ads

It should still get there provided the wort was well aerated. This is why starters are a good idea. For ales you pitch a starter of about a litre; for lagers a starter of 2l if you pitch at fermenting temps or 1l if you pitch warm. Then you can be confident that you've pitched the right amount.
When the gravity drops below 1020 give this brew a diacetyl rest by bringing the temp slowly up to around 20C and holding it there for a day or two. That should ensure it finishes fermentation.

Back