Dead kegerator :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat B

Reaction score
The other night I was about to keg two brews and when I opened the lid of my home made kegerator I saw that it was very warm. It's a freezer with an STC1000 replacing the thermostat.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I suspect the compressor has shat its dacks. The unit is getting power, and if I listen carefully it has the quiet hum you'd expect. It's not cooling at all. Visual inspection hasn't identified anything obvious. Does anyone here know much about refrigeration? Is a 20 year old chest freezer worth trying to repair or should I just write it off?

I've got the kegs chilling in my fermentation fridge which won't go below 9.7deg.

Not a good situation to be in.

I had a fridge do much the same thing turned out it had leaked it's gas.

I'm no refrigerator expert though

Google stuck compressor. It helped me. A simple repair with a cap.

Not a fridgie but understand motors.

If the compressor motor is running, then the most likely fault is refrigerant gas leak. It's probably not possible/economical to repair.

I once had this happen and the issue was a loose connection in the stc, try bypassing it and see what happens.

Sometimes the hum is locked rotor. There is an overcurrent device on the motor pins of the compressor. It may be that there is a hum that isn't compressor rotation.

THere is a starting and run winding. A little thermal device and shift the current flow from S to R but it can die. A $25 3 in 1 capacitor / SSR unit may fix it.

Now,

If the hum is genuine compressor rotation then more than likely your gas is gone. That is an ordinary outcome for you.

But at T+20y, getting a new unit isn't unexpected.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Sometimes the hum is locked rotor. There is an overcurrent device on the motor pins of the compressor. It may be that there is a hum that isn't compressor rotation.

THere is a starting and run winding. A little thermal device and shift the current flow from S to R but it can die. A $25 3 in 1 capacitor / SSR unit may fix it.

Now,

If the hum is genuine compressor rotation then more than likely your gas is gone. That is an ordinary outcome for you.

But at T+20y, getting a new unit isn't unexpected.

Is it just me or does this make as much sense as anything kerr says?

ae0a8e91140f5f6381146d89854f4cf8.jpg

Talk some more gibberish Cosdog, I think I'm starting to catch on. Is world getting freakier all ze thyme.

LAGERFRENZY said:
Talk some more gibberish Cosdog, I think I'm starting to catch on. Is world getting freakier all ze thyme.

Yep true brother frenzy....When it comes to making sense on ethanol....

DVyShof.jpg

'I've got the kegs chilling in my fermentation fridge which won't go below 9.7deg.'
You could bypass the fridge thermostat then use the STC to control temps.

Also if you have a multi-meter you can test the wingdings on the compressor easily, just do a quick google search and there should be instructions.

My bet is on low refrigerant. I've had three or four die on me and aside from one with a blown PTC relay the rest were low gas. The relay I could replace for $40 but the low gas isn't worth the hassle unless you are or know a licensed fridgie.
Feel the compressor housing: if it's hot your compressor is running. Check the pipes from the compressor. One should be relatively cold. If there is a service valve depress the shrader valve quickly (don't do it with a smoke in your mouth). If it doesn't release a good burst of pressure it's stuffed.

On the plus size you get to upgrade! My fermenting freezer died on me recently after several years of faithful crash chilling. Took me a few weeks on ebay but ended up with a fridge freezer pigeon pair for less than a hundred bucks. Boojah.

wildburkey said:
Also if you have a multi-meter you can test the wingdings on the compressor easily, just do a quick google search and there should be instructions.
Edit for you: windings .
Ahh Sunday arvo....

I've tested a few wingdings in my time. Nothing quite like a wingding probing.

Latest posts

Back