De Koninck 1833

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
:D At the moment I'm really loving the de Koninck 1833, in a bottle with a red label.
Are there any recipes about for this.
What sort of yeast do de Koninck use?

never heard of it. where'd you get it? I've only ever seen Antoon, Cuve and the normal DK around. what strength? what's it like?

edit:
i think this is just the normal "De Koninck" - you confused me with the "1833" thing, I never noticed that on the bottle.

There are a few clone recipes for this around, I think there's one in Brew Like A Monk but I'm not sure.
like an altbier grist with saaz and belgian yeast.

I did one last year involving bohemian pilsener malt, bit of caramunich and a pinch of chocolate, 35IBU of Saaz, Bastogne yeast, 1055 or so, CC'd for a month, and it came out very nice.

The specs according to 'BLAM'.
OG 1.048
ABV 5%
Attenuation 83%
IBU 24
Malts- pale and vienna and no adjuncts
hops are all saaz
Yeast is 'de koninck' pitched at 18c and rises to 25c over 4-5 days.

Just did a quick search around the net and didn't come up with much on the yeast. I'am sure there must be something around somewhere though. According to BLAM they serve the yeast up for consumption in shot glasses, thats one way to get hold of it. :p

Couple of people on HBD have mentioned it may possibly use a decoction mash, don't quote me as thats just something I saw on the internet..hey what a minute it must be true then :lol:

heres on recipe in a HBD thread archive

Happy brewing
Jayse

Thats one of the things I love about this hobby, tracking down ingredients and info. Collecting it all then throwing down a brew to see how it comes out

Thats one of the things I love about this hobby, tracking down ingredients and info. Collecting it all then throwing down a brew to see how it comes out

yeah my usual procedure is: find out everything in painstaking detail down to the colour of the brewer's undies, then disregard it all in a burst of pigheadedness and just do whatever the hell i feel like. that way i get to feel spontaneous as well as well-researched...

I tasted a decent Koninck clone which was brewed with the westmalle yeast at temperatures around 18 grC (wyeast #3787 Trappist High Gravity - Westmalle (Westvleteren / Achel)). I also believe that only saaz is used, and pale ale/vienna malts with no sugar in the bill.

Back