Darken with Age

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash2

Reaction score
Why do brews darken with age,I find a lot of mine do.Is it mine only or does it happen to other brewers & why.

That's a good question. To be honest, I haven't noticed any of mine do that and I wouldn't have the first clue as to why they would.. maybe the same reason malt extracts darken with age? :unsure:

I'll give you a smart arse answer and say its a chemical reaction. :lol:

ash2 said:
Why do brews darken with age,I find a lot of mine do.Is it mine only or does it happen to other brewers & why.
oxidation

JasonP said:
oxidation
Thanks JasonP,could you expand your answer for me,i'am really not that bright to understand the full meaning of oxidation. :wacko:

ash2 said:
Thanks JasonP,could you expand your answer for me,i'am really not that bright to understand the full meaning of oxidation. :wacko:
Well i must admit i dont know the chemical process that goes on here, but it happened to me on a beer a while back and I remember reading somewhere that oxidation can dark beer post fermentation, so thats what i put my experience down to. I havent found any other reasonable explanation.

GalBrew said:
Rocket science is all about oxidation.
I get it now it's all about oxidation,i must be The Flattest Beer in the Box :huh:

To explain oxidation blantently, it means your beer has staled over time.

Dissolved oxygen can make it into your beer in many ways. The most obvious way is whenever you shake/stir/siphon your beer once fermentation has completed.

There are plenty of great on this forum and tons of info online that can explain oxidation more thoroughly then I can. It's worth a look up if your interested in more info.

oxidation doesn't always mean oxygen though. oxidation means a loss of electrons from any element to another.
the element that loses the electron is oxidised, the one that gains an electron is reduced.

I try to think of it as seats around table at a function and some tables at a function are more attractive than others.
Oxygen has 8 seats and 2 seats empty and is very attractive. Hydrogen has only one seat thats full in its natural state.
All elements are looking to fill there available seats (become noble).

the analogy doesn't completely work when you read more into different types of chemical bonds but it helps to remind me of how many electrons a element needs to become noble (fill all seats) If oxygen binds to 2 hydrogen atoms its seats are full forming H2O, but you never see H30 as there is only 8 seats at the oxygen table. im waffling.

in your beers case its probably oxygen reacting with the beer or a settling of tiny fine particles that capture light, resulting in the perception of a darker beer (even bright beer isn't completely transparent)

There you go!

Trust the dude studying chemistry(?) to come through with the goods!

dont trust me to far jace i sucked at chem!

And they have a cute name for what Charst said. Its called 'REDOX'. :D

Latest posts

Back